Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cessna571
Rob P wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:To increase the chances of the emergency services finding you and not potentially spending days searching?

As I have frequently commented on here, I fail to see what is so enticing about lying in a hospice while a pretty nurse changes my pee bag.

Robb P

But think of all the flying you’ll miss if you die on the way to that bed.

I’ve done a few dangerous things in my life, and my approach has always been to mitigate the risks, so I can do some more in the future.

For me that’s slightly different to my Uncle’s attitude, he’d been told “no flying, it might kill you”, a good friend of mine took him flying a couple of times, involving discussions about what would happen if he died!

He survived the flying and died a couple of weeks later of the terminal cancer.

He had nothing to lose, you have something to lose.

I have no urge to be old and decrepit and alive, but I don’t want my journey to end while I’m still fit enough to fly.

Plus, I’ve not done a parachute jump yet. I need to do that at some point, imagine missing the chance to do that.
terryws liked this
By Rob P
Cessna571 wrote:He had nothing to lose, you have something to lose.

Not as much as you. I have many more flying hours behind me, and many fewer ahead compared to a youngster like you.

I should also point out that I was wholly confident the aircraft would reach the opposite shore, and spent a far more comfortable time than my survival-suited companions.

I ran an acceptable and minimal risk in my judgement.

Rob P
By kanga
Genghis the Engineer wrote:..A5 pages held together with a treasury tag in the corner..

ah, technology jargon I recognise and respect :)

My bag is overdue for sorting after ~4 years since I last flew P1, which was with the buyer of my last share :( .. but from memory it probably held too much for my typical trip (local, day, not even landaway) and maybe not enough for the increasingly rare longer ones (occasional landaway day trip, very occasional week away at Air Cadet Camps). From memory:

a. what I used:

1-2 headsets (and spare battery 9v for the 1 ANR one)
A5 kneeboard with looseleafs of base and any destination airfields' layouts
hiker's GPS (+ cable for cigar lighter socket in aircraft + spare AA batteries); loaded with routes if landaway planned
older tablet used only for flying (in its case, within a sewn pouch; + suction mount); route loaded on SD if landaway planned
1:500K topo, track marked if landaway planned, folded appropriately within transparent hiker's map case, also holding printout of SD plogs
ancient RAF flying gloves
filched airline sickbags (extracted if taking passengers :wink: )
logbook (always with me)
Flyer List cap (of course :wink: )

b. stuff I rarely if ever used, except first for planning return trips:

(fairly) recent Pooley's, Lockyear's, RAF ERS

torch, head torch
wax crayons
transparent 'plotter'
ancient (25 KHz) handheld
high-viz gilets
Some 'survival' stuff left from time in Canada or 'liberated' from scrap pile in RAF SESs :roll: ; eg wire saw, signalling mirror, fishing lines; none ever used

c. in flight jacket (ancient scarlet AOPA US freebie on joining; high-enough-viz!):

wax crayon, ballpoint in shoulder slots
spare glasses
prescription sunglasses
latterly: licence, medical, mobile 'phone

There's probably other stuff, too; all probably unnecessary then and more so now
By Rob P
A cherry in a dry Martini? Heathen stuff. It's an olive, or nothing.

Dear god, it'll be red wine with the fish next. :roll:

Rob P
nallen, Lockhaven, Rjk983 liked this
By Flyingfemme
wire saw

Left over from time in Canada........that I can understand. Transport Canada used to publish an “advisory” kitlist for ferrypilots transitting their area. Itwas quite a long list and culminated in a “high powered rifle” suitable for dealing with polar bears in case of crashing in snowy places :lol:
kanga liked this
By Cessna571
T6Harvard wrote:A bag ready packed, same contents as @Cessna571 , except I also have a mini torch, mini Swiss army knife (legal!) and emergency cash. I add my mobile phone before I enter a/c. Oh and, my spare spare pen is a pencil :D

I envy that flight bag! It's still on my wishlist because Santa forgot it.

Thankfully not needed a hi vis yet but suspect that is to come when I start X.C.

As I am a student I do also have my logbook in there for post-lesson completion, feel it's safer than leaving in car. Thanks for the tip about photographing the pages, @MichaelP .

ETA, also Skyway Code :mrgreen:

That is my post qualification flight bag though.

Before I qualified I had a bright orange Sainsbury’s bag for life.

I also bought my first “own headset” after qualification, (but that was pre covid!)

I remember sitting at the end of the runway and my instructor saying “No one has the ‘plane booked after us, want to fly some more?”

My reply was “I can’t do this when I’m sitting at my desk tomorrow, let’s go flying”

When I was a student, every penny I had spare went on flying, it’s cheaper to fly after qualification, and the little luxuries creep in.
T6Harvard liked this
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In Canada I used to carry the survival pack, and the SAS survival guide.
No high powered rifle though...
Some students coming in for their ‘mountain check’ would be inadequately clothed and shod. You dress for the crash.
In Thailand bottled water was even more important, and everywhere one should buy liquids in plastic bottles with spouts big enough for your personal drainage device.

Do not take these things out of the aeroplane when overnighting at secure airports...
I lost my Leatherman tool when I had to go through security.
kanga liked this
By Trent772
Flyingfemme wrote:
MichaelP wrote: everywhere one should buy liquids in plastic bottles with spouts big enough for your personal drainage device.

:shock:
What would Sir recommend? :lol:

Don't start me or I will tell the tale of a Piper Lance, a rolled up map and a very inconvenienced mate.... :lol:
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MichaelP wrote:I’ll give you a hold instruction :D

Reminds me of Timothy's North Pole talk, where he picked up a young female hitchhiker for the flight home. He needed a pee, so was trying to get her to hold the yoke and fly straight and level while he was otherwise occupied. She wasn't doing very well and exclaimed that she couldn't do it. Timothy replied, "Well, you can hold one of two things...."

I think she learnt to hold straight and level fairly quickly after that!
mick w, Flyingfemme, kanga and 3 others liked this