Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
Hi,

Early last year I changed my LAPL medical to a Self Declaration Medical due to lack of access of my GP (ie Covid). I am now thinking of returning to an LAPL medical so that I can fly in Europe (with the permission of the country) later in 2021.

The question is - How to cancel the Self Declaration. Would this be automatic when the GP completes the online LAPL medical or do I need to cancel after gaining my LAPL medical.

I understand that the CAA only allows a pilot to have one medical in place at any time.

Any comments would be most welcome.

John
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You can have a PMD as well as a formal Medical Certificate.

Many of us with Class 2’s have a PMD in our back pockets ‘just in case’ of circumstances like yours, or some minor condition arises which invalidates the Class 2 but not the PMD.
Dodo liked this
By Forfoxake
Are you aware of the current problem with flying any aircraft in the UK on a LAPL if you made the no greater than 2000kg medical declaration?

If so, it has been extensively discussed on at least 3 recent threads in the Flyer GA forum.

PS Hopefully, it will be sorted by April 12th!
By Paul_Sengupta
Forfoxake wrote:Are you aware of the current problem with flying any aircraft in the UK on a LAPL if you made the no greater than 2000kg medical declaration?

As far as I know you don't *make* a 2000kg or 5700kg declaration, you make a declaration, and then you stick to the rules which apply to you. Is this not the case? Also the type of licence box is just for statistical information, it's not saying you're only going to use that type of licence to fly that type of aeroplane.
By Forfoxake
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Forfoxake wrote:Are you aware of the current problem with flying any aircraft in the UK on a LAPL if you made the no greater than 2000kg medical declaration?

As far as I know you don't *make* a 2000kg or 5700kg declaration, you make a declaration, and then you stick to the rules which apply to you. Is this not the case? Also the type of licence box is just for statistical information, it's not saying you're only going to use that type of licence to fly that type of aeroplane.

Atm, you are correct- there is only one declaration you can make (although I did not know that the licence type ticked was/is only for statistical purposes).

However, some of us made a 2000kg PMD earlier which it appears is no longer valid (if it ever was!).
By Forfoxake
Forfoxake wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

Atm, you are correct- there is only one declaration you can make (although I did not know that the licence type ticked was/is only for statistical purposes).

However, some of us made a 2000kg PMD earlier which it appears is no longer valid (if it ever was!).

Correction: According to the Cellma Applicant Guide, if one is making a PMD, one must 'select the relevant limit for the weight of aircraft you fly'

Unfortunately, the up to 2000kg limit is still not allowed for Part-FCL licence holders like the LAPL and is unlikely to be allowed by April12th! Looks like I will need to revalidate my NPPL after all.
By Forfoxake
Looks like this has been sorted for at least a year.

SkyWise alert today:

"Exemptions - changing the Pilot Medical Declaration for private pilots

Following a safety review, CAA has published two exemptions. One exemption formalises the use of the alternative medical declaration criteria for licences issued under the ANO.

The other exemption allows holders of UK Part-FCL LAPL, PPL and UK Part-BFCL BPL and UK Part-SFCL SPL licences to make a Pilot Medical Declaration to the alternative medical declaration.

These exemptions are valid until 30 April 2022, this should give sufficient time for this to be brought into formal legislation.

SW2021/85"
JAFO, Snorker liked this
By Forfoxake
The same thing now I think, though the formal name is Pilot Medical Declaration (PMD).

You used to be able to make a medical declaration countersigned by your GP for certain types of flying but not sure what the formal name for that was.
By Forfoxake
It was this:

Existing NPPL Medical Declaration holders
If you have already made a Medical Declaration under the previous NPPL system that is counter-signed by your GP (Article 73A of the ANO 2009) and made before 25 August 2016, this certificate was only valid for a maximum of five years and therefore not beyond 25 August 2021. All such pilots will be required to make a new medical declaration using the online Pilot Medical Declaration system.

The previous GP counter-signed declaration is no longer available.
By Forfoxake
Please note that exemptions ORS4 1542 or 1543 which allow PMD use with a much lighter medical history for UK licences if aircraft does not exceed 2000kg MAUM are due to expire on 30th April 2023. Does anyone know if the CAA intends to renew these exemptions- it was not done till 26th April last year!
By riverrock
Discussed in another thread. The expectation from all of that it will be renewed without fanfare a few days before expiration, just like last time. None of the representative organisations appear worried and if not renewed it would ground a huge number of pilots!
Forfoxake liked this