Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
I agree about Barton but as a former VP of LAC I would wouldn’t I?

However
hospitable GA airfield a short taxi ride from the greatest city in the country as your reward.

I wouldn’t call 55 miles to Leeds a short taxi ride. :lol:
Danny, flybymike, Kittyhawk liked this
By rdfb
IMCR wrote:I very much appreciate Barton's engagement but there is a danger this is no more than a publicity stunt, unless some specific answer to these questions can be provided?

Oh come on. They engaged with us with specifics on what was the original topic of this thread, and now you're accusing them of a "publicity stunt" just because they haven't responded again with answers to other questions?

This isn't productive. Please, just stop it.
By IMCR
rdfb wrote:
IMCR wrote:I very much appreciate Barton's engagement but there is a danger this is no more than a publicity stunt, unless some specific answer to these questions can be provided?

Oh come on. They engaged with us with specifics on what was the original topic of this thread, and now you're accusing them of a "publicity stunt" just because they haven't responded again with answers to other questions?

This isn't productive. Please, just stop it.

Sorry, I dont agree. (and why so aggressive and dictatorial?)

I have said I am delighted Barton commented, and I never said because they havent responded, it is a publicity stunt! That is wrong and unfair.

I have said that without the answers to these questions it isnt clear anything has or will change, which is an entirely reasonable question or observation to make. :D
By BobD
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
hospitable GA airfield a short taxi ride from the greatest city in the country as your reward.

He actually meant the 30 miles to Liverpool :lol:
kanga, Rob P, MachFlyer liked this
By Big Dex
BobD wrote:

He actually meant the 30 miles to Liverpool :lol:

It's great that we can still turn to comedy in these troubled times. :lol:
Rob P, Nick, IMCR liked this
By MachFlyer
After I passed my GST, but before my license came through, I went to Barton with my instructor for some touch and goes to get some more practice on grass. I have since also flown there a couple of times. I have never had a bother with anyone there and the FISO’s have always been friendly and (to my low hours mind at least) professional.

The only thing I would say is that I would never go there without skydemon due to the presence of Manchester’s airspace close by and for a low hours pilot there can be a lot of things happening quite quickly if approaching from the west (frequency & altitude changes).

I would also agree it’s only a short taxi ride to the finest city in the world. FTAOD Liverpool :lol:
kanga liked this
By Miscellaneous
MachFlyer wrote:I would also agree it’s only a short taxi ride to the finest city in the world. FTAOD Liverpool :lol:

There's just no accounting for some peoples standards. :wink:

I guess the post is appropriately in a myths thread. :lol:
Nick, MachFlyer liked this
By Rob P
Absolutely. You may find it hard to believe but there are still some misguided souls who don't realise Liverpool's rank as God's chosen city.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Full Metal Jackass
Stampe wrote:A long lost friend who lives under the circuit at Barton has invited me fly up for a weekend this summer.I cannot say that the reputation of the airfield and the contents of this thread make it an attractive flying destination.What a strange way to run a business!Best take the car I think....safer both for me and my licence!Simple threat and error management.
Fly safe Stampe

This is always going to be the case, that airfields gain a certain reputation which leads to an avoidance of such airfields - a case in question was Bonn Hangelar where in 2011 they had equipment installed to check your position within the circuit and if you flew outside of the prescribed circuit by as little as 150m, you would be prosecuted. This was removed in 2014 but still the reputation haunts the airfield with pilots reluctant to travel there.

I appreciate the open communication from @rightofway but I do note that he refused to answer the question - why their airfield was responsible for so many MORs? Was the radio simply too busy and pilots simply didn't want to circle in the LLR, risking a MAC and instead headed straight towards the ATZ and didn't establish 2 way communication until too late? Or what was the reason for the high percentage?
IMCR, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
Miscellaneous wrote: ... by moving as far across country as you could. :wink:

Only because God said I had to spread the word to the Iceni heathens.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', BobD liked this
By Nick
Miscellaneous wrote:Glad you agree @Rob P, as noted previously you put your belief in to action by moving as far across country as you could. :wink:

I was always told, when I lived in the NW the only good thing to come out of Liverpool was the East Lancs road, the A580.

Nick
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:Only because God said I had to spread the word to the Iceni heathens.

I think the defence shall rest if your best argument is the word of an imaginary friend. :D

On topic, my experience is that being sceptical serves well and I have to say I have not seen enough from Barton to satisfy that scepticism. More interaction welcomed.
skydriller, IMCR liked this
By IMCR
Miscellaneous - I think you are absolutely right. The cynic in all of us would conclude Barton wants our business, but cant tell us why they have featured so highly in MORs, and havent really provided any comfort that they will not top the list again when pilots start travelling. This seems to me just the position we are in, Barton may well wish otherwise, but on the basis of what we have (helpfully) been told, I cant see how any other conclusion is possible.

Barton will remain on my list of places not to visit just for the fun of it, not because I am concerned about complying with their procedures, but simply because I can do without the hassle of visiting somehwere that seems to wish to distinguish themselves for the wrong reasons. :D
T67M, Rob P liked this
By Miscellaneous
@IMCR I'd stick to scepticism rather than cynicism. :wink: However, I agree there are too many unanswered questions not to be sceptical and simply accept all is well based on the little info which has been forthcoming at this late stage in the discussion. It is down to Barton to address the outstanding very reasonable concerns and if there is genuine misunderstanding to be clarified it should be relatively easily achieved through transparency. Any attempt to be selective in answers or communication will only lead to reinforcement of underlying scepticism, possibly resulting in cynicism. :wink: