Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Deeko01
Hello,

Could you assist please, we have a Grumman AA5 Traveler and looking into engine and prop overhaul costs and wonder if you can point me in the right direction to drill down on the costs.

I saw details online of costs to buy or overhaul an engine but what about the maintenance facility cost to take the engine out and. Refit on return. How much we looking at £15l/£20k£25k?

Same for the prop, how much should you allow?

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't have recent costs of an overhaul, but surely the best place to start would be a discussion with your normal maintenance company to disuss options with them. The prop overhaul costs are minor compared to engine, providing it meets spec. Otherwise it's a new one at about £4000.

What I would recommend is that if you don't have the high compression STC applied already, then the engine overhaul is the time to do it, as the incremental cost is just the $500 to purchase the STC. For that you get better take-off and climb performance whilst saving 2 litres or more per hour.

Edited to add: Jade Air did the zero-time overhaul on my engine, just before I bought it some years ago. When I have spoken to them on the phone, they are helpful and knowledgable. 01480 404261.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By romille
Engine overhaul costs very greatly, much depends on what is found when the engine is dismantled and decisions are made about what can be refurbished and what needs replacing.
I think your first port of call should be to a few of the companies that undertake this sort of work to establish the basic costs involved.
You also need to budget for replacement or refurbishment of ancillaries, the cost of removal and replacement of the engine from the airframe and a contingency for other unexpected items. I would ask your maintenance company for a detailed quote before starting.
By NigelC
You could start by visiting http://www.airpart.co.uk who are UK Lycoming agents and requesting a quote for a Factory engine, which at least sets the upper limit.
You will need to carry out extensive research if you decide to send it to an overhaul shop as they vary enormously in quality, typically a very low quote equates to a huge on going nightmare. Your maintenance company may give you a steer off the record but I would also ask around for recommendations, they should also be able to quote for removal and installation which should be piffling in relation to the overhaul cost. Take a good look around and think how long it would take you to remove the cowlings, spinner and prop , disconnect all the fuel, oil, electric and engine controls at which point an engine crane and four bolts releases the engine, then triple it and be wary of a quote that doesn't fall within or close to those man hours plus parts.

People on here may be unwilling to advise on companies to avoid for obvious reasons.
Last edited by NigelC on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GAFlyer4Fun
NigelC wrote:...
You will need to carry out extensive research if you decide to send it to an overhaul shop as they vary enormously in quality, ...

Very true.

With all the qualifications/certifications/approvals that generally makes aviation expensive to help avoid bits of aircraft falling on houses/schools/puppy farms etc, most people would expect any overhaul shop with the regulatory approvals to meet a minimum standard.
Unfortunately that is not always the case even for basic engines.
By Flying_john
I would allow £1000 - £1500 for the in/out labour and paperwork.

I would allow £400 - £600 for refurb of a fixed pitched prop and form 1

For the engine overhaul/zero timing it ranges from £10k to £30k depending on whether it is a factory new, factory overhaul, non factory overhaul and/or whether it is overhauled to new or service limits.

For our hourly rate we work on an engine figure of £25k divided by 2000hrs and keep our fingers crossed !
gaznav liked this
By GrahamB
Flying_john wrote:I would allow £1000 - £1500 for the in/out labour and paperwork.

I would allow £400 - £600 for refurb of a fixed pitched prop and form 1

For the engine overhaul/zero timing it ranges from £10k to £30k depending on whether it is a factory new, factory overhaul, non factory overhaul and/or whether it is overhauled to new or service limits.

For our hourly rate we work on an engine figure of £25k divided by 2000hrs and keep our fingers crossed !

If someone was forcing me to come up with figures, those are very much what I would say for an O320 and fixed pitch Macauley.
Flying_john, gaznav liked this
By GrahamB
Trent772 wrote:Basic question is - why do you want to overhaul the engine and propeller ?

They might not want to yet, it may be just information for budgeting and/or setting an hourly/ monthly charge.
Trent772 liked this
By irishc180
I'd guess 40hrs at your workshop rate would do alot of it. You'd have the engine off in a short day and on a pallet for transport. Three good days should do all on the refit and set up. Alot of it will depend on how in depth you want to go on engine baffles, exhaust, painting engine mounts, changing mounting rubbers and engine controls.

We bought a 1975 AA5 there, looking forward to seeing how efficient it is. Supposed to be a good year with cheetah mods, less drag on tail. Never thought we'd let a Traveler into the hangar :D
By AndyR
Paul_Sengupta wrote:A few years ago my overhaul of my Bulldog engine cost £23k with Nicholson McLaren. That wasn't including removal and refitting. Prop overhaul is about £3k I think.

Prop overhaul on ours cost just under £4500 last year. Cheap compared to the fatigue meter overhaul at £2500 :shock:
Prices have definitely increased.