Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think I’m waiting for the CAA to examine the scans of my passport and PPL then they will authorise my application for refund .
Any idea how long that takes ?
I’d hate them to run out of dosh..... :roll:
By PeteSpencer
In eager anticipation of the arrival of my Skyecho I’d like to get flarm into my SD/ iPad mini set up.

Having trouble finding flarm: any tips on where to find it and presumably several iterations are permissible ? ( on two devices)

And what’s the difference between ‘old’ flarm’, ‘classic’ flarm and power flarm. Which do I need?
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cub
PeteSpencer wrote:In eager anticipation of the arrival of my Skyecho I’d like to get flarm into my SD/ iPad mini set up.

Having trouble finding flarm: any tips on where to find it and presumably several iterations are permissible ? ( on two devices)

And what’s the difference between ‘old’ flarm’, ‘classic’ flarm and power flarm. Which do I need?

Peter Your shiny new SkyEcho 2 will receive FLARM as soon as you select the option in the configuration menu for the device or via Tim’s excellent interface for the device in SkyDemon. That interface menu is available when SkyDemon is connected to you SkyEcho. In the meantime you could upgrade your SkyDemon subscription to decode the FLARM data her https://www.skydemon.aero/store/flarmdecoding.aspx
PeteSpencer, TonyC liked this
Here's a question.

I fly from a glider field. I don't have any extra subscriptions, yet I see (actually 'hear') all the gliders (I hope) via SkyDemon / PAw.

How is this happening?

Rob P
By Cub
Rob P wrote:Here's a question.

I fly from a glider field. I don't have any extra subscriptions, yet I see (actually 'hear') all the gliders (I hope) via SkyDemon / PAw.

How is this happening?

Rob P

I would have to say that if I was based at a glider airfield and had the choice of direct reception of FLARM or receiving any rebroadcast service, I would definitely think paying FLARM (via the EFB) a subscription for directly received data, would feel like money very well spent.
nallen liked this
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Well I never knew that. I had always assumed that Flarm was yet another box I had to buy and find a space for in the aircraft. As I am now the proud owner of a SkyEcho although have never yet used it for real, I too will buy a subscription for my SD and try it out. I also did not realise that I could link to SD running on my IPhone via the Bluetooth that is built into my headset but have never used.

It’s useful reading these threads!
PeteSpencer, TonyC liked this
@Cub
I would have to say that if I was based at a glider airfield and had the choice of direct reception of FLARM or receiving any rebroadcast service, I would definitely think paying FLARM (via the EFB) a subscription for directly received data, would feel like money very well spent.

Rob said he has PAW, so paying SkyDemon for Flarm would be pointless. As the field sports an ATOM station he is going to get Flarm traffic re-broadcast and received in his PAW at greater ranges than direct reception.

If he only had Sky Echo I would agree with you.
By Cub
PaulSS wrote:@Cub

Rob said he has PAW, so paying SkyDemon for Flarm would be pointless. As the field sports an ATOM station he is going to get Flarm traffic re-broadcast and received in his PAW at greater ranges than direct reception.

If he only had Sky Echo I would agree with you.

Can I just be clear about what you are suggesting here Paul? Are you suggesting that the detecting and rebroadcasting of received FLARM emissions via the ATOM network would better support you than direct reception of FLARM via a device fitted in the aircraft, on the basis that you may ‘see’ aircraft further away?