Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Aeronca Alan wrote:I bought a Sky Echo 2 last week and, whilst it is great fun (family can see me on FR24 :D ), I doubt its value as a safety aid. It must be set to "SIL 0" in the UK and so certified receivers in other aircraft and ATC will not see its transmissions as they are filtered out.

Are you sure you've got that right? Uavionix explicitly says "SkyEcho includes a TSO-C199 GPS transmitting a Source Integrity Level (SIL) value of 1. SIL values of one (1) enable certified avionics, TCAS, and ATC to process and display your aircraft position. "
Incidentally, I had mine delivered Saturday and settled down to a happy morning of connecting and configuring in prospect, but it disappointingly took about a minute! I connected my tablet to it's WiFi and then launched SkyDemon. Under 3rd party devices selected SE2. Then when I "went flying" a message popped up asking me to configure SE and all I had to do was enter the reg and hex code, job done.
Come on Tim D, make it harder :D
Cub wrote:Neil I started this thread to celebrate the fact that regardless of chosen manufacturer it would appear that the GA community are electing to adopt ADS-B as a common internationally accepted standard for making themselves electronically conspicuous.

Cub, I suspect the 50% money off incentive from the DfT played a big part, it did for me anyway.. I wouldn't have bought one without that saving. I had PAW anyway....

I'm more than happy to invest in technology IF they give me something back. I invested in an 8.33 radio and Mode S transponder a few years ago and they have provided very little in payback or ease of access to places. I can pretty much do everything I did before without them.
By Cub
JodelDavo wrote:
Cub wrote:Neil I started this thread to celebrate the fact that regardless of chosen manufacturer it would appear that the GA community are electing to adopt ADS-B as a common internationally accepted standard for making themselves electronically conspicuous.

Cub, I suspect the 50% money off incentive from the DfT played a big part, it did for me anyway.. I wouldn't have bought one without that saving. I had PAW anyway....

I'm more than happy to invest in technology IF they give me something back. I invested in an 8.33 radio and Mode S transponder a few years ago and they have provided very little in payback or ease of access to places. I can pretty much do everything I did before without them.

I understand your point and agree that obviously £250 of free money will have been most people’s motivation to buy something eligible.

The point I was trying to convey is that it appeared that most of that discretionary spend actually enabled ADS-B out in an increasing percentage of the GA population. I was suggesting this is a very good thing because it represents one unified standard and common interoperability in an otherwise often polarised debate.

I also understand you feel that your previous investments in Mode S and 8.33 have delivered little for you and am wondering then, what you are hoping is going to be different with SkyEcho?
It may just be worth reminding ourselves that this stuff (whether it be Flarm, PAW or SE2) does work. With my insurance renewal the insurer sent me a copy of the 2019 BGA Accident summary (maybe they were trying to tell me something :) ) It had an interesting chart on MAC, looking Glider:Glider and Glider:Other over the last 45 years. You can see a distinct reduction in Glider;Glider since Flarm started to be introduced around 2005 after 15 years upward trend.

Hopefully adoption of more EC and better interoperability will start to reduce the "Blue" bars. I know the numbers may be relatively low, but the survival rate is probably <50% - we may even be starting see the glider:other numbers declining in 2014-2019, bit early to say just yet......

So I know it's tempting to say "I've spent money on this but what does it do"...... but there is a long term benefit. I have 2 good friends who might be alive today if Flarm had been available in the 1980's. Of course MAC is not the only (or even the top) cause of GA fatalities, but it is one that technology can help with......

PS: I believe that in all of these statistics there is only one collision between 2 gliders that were both Flarm equipped.
https://members.gliding.co.uk/library/safety/2019-accident-review/
By patowalker
connone wrote:I received my SkyEcho 2 on Saturday. SDA is set to 1 by default. This seems to follow an update in December 2020.

https://uavionix.com/support/skyecho/up ... -software/

I'm assuming that this setting has now been agreed and I can use the device with SDA=1.

There is a note there which says: "United Kingdom: Set SDA to 0 (zero).The RTCA standards require SDA =1 before data can be presented to aircraft with certified ADS-B In systems."
By Smaragd
connone wrote:I received my SkyEcho 2 on Saturday. SDA is set to 1 by default. This seems to follow an update in December 2020.

https://uavionix.com/support/skyecho/up ... -software/

I'm assuming that this setting has now been agreed and I can use the device with SDA=1.

UAvionix SE2 Installation and Pilot's Guide dated 17 Feb 21 still says (p11) In the UK, SDA=0 is required to be transmitted. :(
patowalker wrote:There is a note there which says: "United Kingdom: Set SDA to 0 (zero).The RTCA standards require SDA =1 before data can be presented to aircraft with certified ADS-B In systems."

@Cub , are you able to divulge anything on the progress of a CAP1391 v3 ?