Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Peter has a number of issues that prevent that solution as he has mentioned here before.

He couldn't persuade his group to get the right and slightly more expensive Garmon transponder so piping PAw into it for ADSB isn't currently possible.

With the SkyEcho I am guessing he's doing this as a personal purchase to avoid other members unwillingness to invest

I trust Peter will forgive me if I have this wrong

On your solution, have you ever been in an aircraft with PAw alerts direct from the box rather than filtered by SD? It would not be a route I would take.

Rob P
PeteSpencer liked this
patowalker wrote:Don't all radios have an external audio input socket? My Funke ATR833 is linked to a Samsung tablet by a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, making audio warnings available on SD.

Ours does, and you can buy a little Bluetooth RECEIVER for about £10 that plugs into the little standard jack we have the aux in connected to.

I dislike lots of wires too...

I’ve played music through it, never thought of using it for SD audio warnings.

Will try it when we can fly again.

One thing with the Bluetooth earbud thing, I’ve put them in to make phone calls and it works perfectly because it picks your voice up from the side tone in the headset.

Was so clear at the other end my wife said “I thought you were going flying”!

Don’t think I’d wear them full time though.
patowalker liked this
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeteSpencer wrote:Then if I do jump (still undecided) I understand they have to see an order form or receipt before agreeing to consider a rebate.

They want the receipt (guess who sent them the order form…).
PeteSpencer liked this
On your solution, have you ever been in an aircraft with PAw alerts direct from the box rather than filtered by SD? It would not be a route I would take.

Why do you say that, Rob? The filters you can set in SkyDemon (for when you're alerted to traffic, shown traffic etc) can just as easily be set in the PAW configuration screen and do exactly the same job. The advantage, for me, of using the PAW audio alerts is that I can also get audio for bearingless traffic, whereas the SkyDemon audio does not support this.

I run audio from my PAW, EFIS and SkyDemon to a small mixer, that is almost hidden from view and sprouts no visible wires. The mixer feeds to the Aux input on my radio. In this way I get the Aux audio muted when the radio receives and, when I wish to turn down the volume of any of the inputs, for instance, reducing the traffic warnings when I'm on Final because someone is still broadcasting ADSB on the ground, I can simply slide the volume slider for that input (or the master volume) on the mixer.
exfirepro liked this
johnm wrote:
Nah, here's a proper panel :D

Sorry, not even close.

Then I've never been a fan of the seaside amusement arcade look as you well know. :D

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndyR, johnm liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Peter has a number of issues that prevent that solution as he has mentioned here before.

He couldn't persuade his group to get the right and slightly more expensive Garmon transponder so piping PAw into it for ADSB isn't currently possible.

With the SkyEcho I am guessing he's doing this as a personal purchase to avoid other members unwillingness to invest

I trust Peter will forgive me if I have this wrong

Rob P

Rob has it almost right: when I joined the group25 years ago everyone had some kind of instrument rating , the a/c was ‘fully airways’ to the then standards .Three members flew airways for business . Over the years though as the CAA progressively moved the goalposts business travel ceased, IR or IMCr was no longer a condition of group membership and every avionics upgrade was the minimum required of maintain ‘fully airways’ but no future proofing .(esp ADSB out)

Three members bought SE when CAA scheme first started and asked if I wanted to join :At that time I didn’t but in last week have had a change of heart, but for the price of a Merc tankful and one Tesco shop I want my own SE, so there is no hassle over who maintains charges/stores it etc .

Thanks for advice re receipts etc Harry M has my business in hand but presumably CAA rebate would apply as SE was ordered before cut off so the ‘rebate file’ application is now open and current.
Cub liked this
AFAIK to qualify for rebate you have to order the unit by the end of Feb and submit the rebate application by the end of March. Then it’s dependant on sufficient funds still available in the kitty.

I ordered a SE2 last Friday (From HM). I’m also in the CAA’s rebate application system - at the stage of waiting for a response from the vetting of my personal docs (Passport & PPL). Presumably following successful acceptance of those I will then pass further through the system to the stage where I can submit the receipt..... Guess I’ll have to wait for the unit to arrive to be able to do that. Exciting times...!
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
I was in the same situation and ordered mine before Xmas but did not get it until late January. You can get the receipted payment doc OK but for application form you need the unit serial number and you don't know that until you actually receive it. Once you complete the form and submit it, everything works quickly.

Then you can put the altitude limit up to 50,000 feet and watch the jets going over on SD as there is nothing else you can do with it right now.
JonBoy, PeteSpencer liked this