Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By As I CFIT
Personally, I don't see why people keep persevering with this concept. The result is the same every time - a horrible compromise which proves to be awful in both roles. A quaint idea but totally impractical.
rf3flyer liked this
By Crash one
If these things have wings then they need an airstrip to take off and land. What is the point if you have to drive to/from the airstrip to fly it?
A man carrying VTOL drone like device might work if you live in a suitable place, but, as the report states, automotive safety requirements add too much weight/cost.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anyone think avaition regulations are too strict, don't try developing a car:

The measure allowed the company to produce the flying four-wheeled craft for aviation purposes in the United States, though it was still awaiting federal approval to drive on public roadways.

Flying cars might have been a thing if Leonardo da Vinci had not invented the helicopter.
By johnm
Not the first technology blind alley nor the last....
Nick liked this
By Adrian
I was beaten away from the lights by this at Oshkosh a few years ago. It's classed as a motorcycle, and while it's horrible on the road it is at least quite a nice aeroplane. The Terrafugia looked like it was horrible on the road and in the air.

But it's still a solution trying to solve a problem that bothers virtually nobody.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Boxkite
That looks like a b*****it video :lol:

It's wide, how long before a truck or van rips off the wings because you can't judge the width from all angles?

Looks like you have to remove the heavy running gear before flight. And leave it lying on the tarmac. Is that mentioned? And then you fly somewhere else and you can't drive it there.
So it's just a 'plane you can transport to your local airfield. Far cheaper and more convenient to use a trailer, and you'd have a lighter aircraft too.
Nick liked this
By Adrian
Boxkite wrote:That looks like a b*****it video :lol:

One of the delights of the internet is people declaring something to be BS just because they haven’t seen it before.

The road drive unit goes in the back seats and baggage compartment when you’re flying. Read all about it on the company website: https://planedriven.com/

Here’s a photo I took at the traffic lights in Oshkosh, just before it out accelerated me:

Crazy idea, but bizarrely it’s real.
flybymike liked this
By nallen
Presumably by categorising it (the Glasair conversion) as a motorcycle they can avoid all those (literally) weighty federal auto regulations -- so should be given credit for coming up with that sidestep at least; and for the lights on the propeller tips! Can't help thinking that a trailer would be easier though …
By Boxkite
Adrian wrote:
Boxkite wrote:That looks like a b*****it video :lol:

One of the delights of the internet is people declaring something to be BS just because they haven’t seen it before.

I don't doubt its authenticity, it's just its portrayal as something that could be useful.
By Stu B
Apart from looks, my concern with any "convertible" would be that what is to a car a trivial "parking damage" event (so trivial that indeed the owner - if he did not himself witness it - might not even notice) could have serious consequences in flight.
Dave W, flybymike, rf3flyer liked this