Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By lobstaboy
ArthurG wrote:Mr. Shapps doesn't appear to be doing a great job, does he?

"The Secretary of State for Transport wishes to see that the UK benefits from being the best place in the world for general aviation"

And I wish to see £5m in my bank account, but it ain't gonna happen. :)

The aims of different government departments frequently (always?) are at odds with each other, and the intense rivalry between them means they never cooperate to achieve sensible outcomes. Shapps would never be able to argue the toss with a Gigafactory, and he would never want to - it would be seriously damaging for his prospects.
By Jonzarno
peter272 wrote:Never put your faith in politicians in the hopes of them doing the right thing. For them, doing the right thing is usually climbing the greasy pole, even if it means trampling on others

You can’t actually climb a greasy pole and trample someone at the same time, Minister....... :wink: :roll: :D
Paul_Sengupta, gasman, flybymike and 1 others liked this
By ArthurG
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I try to make it personal for Shapps, in the hope that by using his name, he or one of his minions would take on board the collective GA gnashing of teeth, and everyone seems to reply with an excuse and a shoulder shrug for him, "well, you can't expect much from politicians". Talk about giving up before a shot is fired! Wake up everyone, Grant Shapps swanked into town boasting about all he could do for GA, and you're all going to let him off with, "typical politician, innit? What about holding him to account? Perhaps people don't deserve to have politicians to do their bidding if that's the most determination that can be mustered. Could this be the reason why politicians often don't seem to bother once elected? For the sake of all the deities, why don't we at least try to hold his feet to the fire?

I've seen the (to me, hugely dubious) suggestion that we are all going to contribute vast amounts of our personal, and in most cases, small fortunes to buying up airfields (which are worth multi-millions) get more interest and credence. We pay the bloody politicians, we have a hand in choosing them, why not ask for something from them, particularly when promises have been made and not delivered upon?

This is the forum of a widely read and respected aviation monthly, surely it can be used to exert some leverage on our democratically appointed representatives.

How about it Bossman @Edseager? I've heard some admirable rants from you on the Thursday night livestream, could we not do some sort of a campaign? I can see the front of Flyer now, "Is Grant Shapps just another transparent Westminster windbag, or will he deliver for GA as promised"?

If something isn't done in planning law to protect what is left, I really wonder what the future holds for all of us. As Ed and Dave would say, "rant over".
AshleyFlynn23, mick w, MikeW and 4 others liked this
By gaznav
I wonder if this will see the development of smaller, lighter and higher capacity batteries for electric GA Aircraft? Trying to put a positive spin on it!

Also, for alternate airfields within ~20-25 miles of Coventry, then what about Tatenhill, Wellesbourne, Halfpenny Green, Derby, Leicester, Sywell, Turweston, Hinton, Bidford and a plethora of farm strips? How many GA aircraft use Coventry? Would it’s closure help Wellesbourne and Halfpenny Green be more financially viable? Will this factory produce enough jobs and wealth that will see more want to get into GA?

So, just a set of “devil’s advocate” thoughts on this. :pale:
Sooty25, Rob P, Kemble Pitts liked this
By Rob P
Forgive me, I am a little out of touch with Coventry but at least am familiar with part of its history.

When I worked there we (Atlantic/Atlantique) had a cargo back-up operation, an engineering base, a survey company, a flight training school and a pollution control company. Also, of course, a significant fleet of Mike's Toys.

On the other side of the airfield were (from memory) a DHL and a Post Office hub.

There were regular charter flights to holiday destinations.

We won't mention the live animal exports.

Full ATC of course.

To the best of my knowledge all that has gone, and I can't see any way it will be returning any time soon. The Atlantic operation is running down (or already has). The hubs have gone. The charter flights have gone. Passengers are catered for by Birmingham / Luton / Stansted. Cargo has moved to E Midlands.

Coventry is a bloody huge site and is no way going to turn into a viable GA airfield however much we might wish it. Schapps would be doing GA no favours supporting a lost cause.

The best that we could hope for, in fact the best that could happen, would be a decent grass runway close to the old Atlantic offices and wartime hangars (which even when I was there were not sturdy enough to risk holding hangar dances in) and base a small GA operation there.

It's called realism.

Rob P
Sooty25, lobstaboy, Hooligan liked this
By Flyingfemme
Why does it have to be one, or the other? Why do we have to destroy one business to build another in the rubble? Can’t we have both? Surely there is a space for a gigafactory close by?
If the new factory will be such a boost for the area, that would (surely) help the airport? And, presumably, an airport on the doorstep would be of use to all these new global businesses that are going to set up there?
The problem with private enterprise being allowed to run the infrastructure is that it will never be as profitable as some other things and the infrastructure “businesses” are always trying to do something else instead.
The UK capitalises on its accessibility, the fact that it is a crossroads, a marketplace and we run the risk of spoiling that by refusing to entertain infrastructure/ travel facilities that are fit for the 21st century.
ArthurG, Dave W, flybymike and 3 others liked this
By Rob P
Flyingfemme wrote:Why does it have to be one, or the other?

Because Coventry isn't viable? It hasn't been for a long time.

Flyingfemme wrote:And, presumably, an airport on the doorstep would be of use to all these new global businesses that are going to set up there?

The fourteen miles to Elmdon (BHX) isn't really going to be much of an issue surely?

Rob P
By kanga
ArthurG wrote:I try to make it personal for Shapps, ...

Does any Forumite know to where he moved his aircraft (Seneca ?) when Panshanger closed ?

[I wonder if he's flying on a PMD, or will his Currency have lapsed .. :wink: ]
By CloudHound
A school friend rose to be a Director for the Nissan Car Plant near Sunderland. He tells the story of the opening ceremony for their technology centre built on land leased from Cranfield Institute of Technology and the high level management party that flew in from Japan for the opening.

Afterwards the party boarded coaches to take them up to the north east to visit the production facilities. After a couple of hours trundling along the M1 one of the managers complained about the journey and asked John "Isn't there an airport nearby we could have flown to?"

"We built on it Matsu-san!" he replied straight faced. :lol:
Rob P, Hooligan, flybymike and 2 others liked this
By Kittyhawk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:Also, for alternate airfields within ~20-25 miles of Coventry, then what about Tatenhill, Wellesbourne, Halfpenny Green, Derby, Leicester, Sywell, Turweston, Hinton, Bidford and a plethora of farm strips? How many GA aircraft use Coventry? Would it’s closure help Wellesbourne and Halfpenny Green be more financially viable?

Tatenhill 48 miles
Halfpenny Green 54 miles
Derby 56 miles
Leicester 35 miles

Would Wellesbourne have capacity for approx 50 Coventry based aircraft?
By Rob P
Bathman wrote:It is for my Pa28. Which they simply don't wont there.

That is unfortunate.

Do you think you'd be happy to pay a rent sufficient to cover the operating costs of the airport? (shared amongst the GA residents)

I do feel your pain. In normal circumstances Wellesbourne would have been a no-brainer. But as things are I can see you wouldn't be rushing to move there.

Rob P