Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By DNewt
Hi,

I am thinking about starting work on the CBIR which I believe requires a class 1 audiogram. Where and how is the easiest way to get this done? I have a valid class 2 and am based out of Denham / Wycombe if there are any specific recommendations.

Thanks,
David
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
All AMEs who can do class 1 medical renewals can do audiograms :Mine alternates biennially with ECG at Medical . ( medical is Class 2 for CBIR but audiogram is same as class1)
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
By cornhilltc
Contact your AME who will advise. I have an IR and Class 2 and usually my AME carries out the audio test during the medical. It is a simple test and you shouldn’t be concerned about it. However, I changed AME last year and he doesn’t have the capability to carry out the audio test and told me to go to Boots and get the test done and bring the results for my next medical.
By GrahamB
BTW, it's not the end of the world if you don't actually pass it.

You can have an annual 'Functional Hearing Test' instead, which is normally a short flight in an aircraft or simulator session, allowing an instructor to assess your actual ability to hear the comms, identify beacons and carry out a conversation.
By PeteSpencer
Top tip: When your AME does yer audiogram ,make sure the cooling fan of his computer/printer is off...... :wink:
By DNewt
GrahamB wrote:BTW, it's not the end of the world if you don't actually pass it.

You can have an annual 'Functional Hearing Test' instead, which is normally a short flight in an aircraft or simulator session, allowing an instructor to assess your actual ability to hear the comms, identify beacons and carry out a conversation.

Interesting, I didnt know that. On that basis it seems low risk to crack on with the theory?
By Ibra
Do you need this if you have some Garmin gadgets that auto-ident morse codes for conventional NavAids and no-ADF? what if you are 100% flying on GNSS & INS PBN with visual annunciators? or using your IR for IFR in VMC with visual navigation as GPS backup?

Ok, I will get my coat :lol:

Peter Orton does it in a quiet room at Stapleford :thumleft:
By Dodo
If you have an audiogram done by anyone other than your AME make certain they record all the CAA required frequencies.

"When tested on a pure-tone audiometer, initial applicants shall not have a hearing loss of more than 35 dB at any of the frequencies 500, 1 000 or 2 000 Hz, or more than 50 dB at 3 000 Hz, in either ear separately." from https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Otorhinolaryngology/Otorhinolaryngology-guidance-material-GM/

When I was an AME I used to get people bringing in audiograms from high street hearing tests that didn't record 3000Hz.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Peter_G
You can have an annual 'Functional Hearing Test' instead,

Isn’t this for ‘Renewals?
I though the first time you had to get an Audiogram under CAA rules.
Under FAA FARS, like the ECG, neither is required. :D
By GrahamB
Geldard wrote:
You can have an annual 'Functional Hearing Test' instead,

Isn’t this for ‘Renewals?
I though the first time you had to get an Audiogram under CAA rules.
Under FAA FARS, like the ECG, neither is required. :D

My understanding is that for a Class 2 initial, it is acceptable.

One of the AME's on the forum may wish to clarify.
By Sir Morley Steven
I have a class once with FHT. My initial had to have a pass in an audiogram which I scraped through due my years in rock and roll bands.
Now I take along a FHT to my class one renewal.
This year I need an exercise ECG as I am officially now a pensioner.

If you ask me it’s abuse of the elderly!