For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
As an aside - I served for 23 years in the RN, in 6 different frigates, and 2 nuc submarines, in 1 shore establishment (training), and in that time not ONE single crew member was coloured.
In the shore establishment we had to have a bliddy prayers day - that was at 13.00 on a Wednesday, and the order was -“fall out Roman Catholics” !
Changed days indeed.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rikur_ wrote:Black Dyke in Bradford is part of a former cotton mill ..... endless possibilities to be offended

It was a woollen mill but I take your point :-) Cotton in Lancashire Wool in Yorkshire because of the relative weather due the Pennines.
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
By Sooty25
kanga wrote:
Rob P wrote:.. cardboard cutouts of RAF personnel through the ages carefully selected for gender and race unbalance.

Then there's the once wonderful Britain At War Magazine and its feature on being gay in the trenches of the Great War.

again, stories which deserved to be told, because for a long time they weren't ?

couldn't they just generate cut outs from actual photos taken at the time? How PC were they?

As for being gay in the trenches, I can't imagine it was much fun being straight either, I don't recall many stories about it being anything approaching fun at the best of times.
Rob P liked this
By skydriller
Anybody remember the movie "Crocodile Dundee"? Well its on C4 right now... Classic 80s movie.

And for some reason parts of the scenes where he is with the trans-characters have been cut. :roll: which means that the scenes no longer make sense and are no longer funny... The thing is, that the joke is on his character being the fool, and you laugh at him, not the trans-characters. :roll:

It'll be on +1 in a bit if you feel nostalgic.

Regards, SD..
By Rob P
I fear this bollox is rampant.

My school is currently reviewing the house names for some connection with the slave trade, hardly unexpected in the port of Liverpool.

Rob P
By johnm
I may have mentioned before that rewriting history is a bad thing, acknowledging it and learning from it is a good thing. My concern is that all this political correctness is counter-productive :-(

I fear that we'll see more of the right wing nationalism and indeed, related attacks on minorities of all kinds as the excuse for a backlash emerges :(
AndyR liked this
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:My concern is that all this political correctness is counter-productive :-(

I agree, John. It seems to me that the objective of many (most) of the causes has been lost by the majority. They have become obsessed, not about doing the right thing, but by being seen by others to be politically correct. The cause very often lost to the extent that not only do they harm the cause, but make themselves look foolish.

A good example, which I'm sure most will have seen, is Emanuel Cleaver's prayer at the opening of Congress on 3rd Jan. :D

By PeteSpencer
The Black Boy pub in Bury St Eds had a sign depicting a child of colour which was changed to a mucky Caucasian chimney sweep child in the 1990s after a minor fuss.

Now it seems that’s not good enough ...., :wink:
By Paultheparaglider
PeteSpencer wrote:The Black Boy pub in Bury St Eds had a sign depicting a child of colour which was changed to a mucky Caucasian chimney sweep child in the 1990s after a minor fuss.

Now it seems that’s not good enough ...., :wink:

Just for you, Pete. Check out the bottom right...
Flyingfemme, kanga, MikeE and 3 others liked this