Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would certainly hope so. As you say, the airfield is essentially intact from when it was last operational (about 20 years ago), and it would certainly make a more convenient way to arrive than by sea.

Iceman 8)
The rocket (which doesn't exist yet) is designed to fit into a shipping container. It won't fit into any aircraft that can land at Unst airfield. Even if it did, it would then need a large truck to take it to the launch site (which doesn't exist yet) at the disused radar station at Saxa Vord. If it ever comes, it'll come by sea.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don’t think that anyone was suggesting that the rocket would come by air (the runway’s not long enough for that size of aircraft). I would hope, though, that the support staff and the workers required to build that infrastructure would require a convenient means of arrival and departure.

Iceman 8)
Stu B liked this
gaznav wrote:RAF Saxa Vord is very much operational :thumright:

I beg its pardon! It's the brewery at Saxa Vord which is disused, and which is going to be converted into the launch control building.

I think any hope that the airfield will be used is a bit folorn, but they do propose to use the old fuel storage at the airfield to store the kerosene for the rocket.

Read all about it: https://shetlandspacecentre.com/wp-cont ... V1-NTS.pdf
gaznav liked this
By gaznav
The CAA will need to put a HIRTA around Saxa Vord too. I guess they haven’t bothered due to the lack of traffic that far North. But it will probably be similar to the ones at Portreath and Boulmer, etc...
From this summer, the CAA will take over responsibility for regulating orbital and sub-orbital launches, satellite operations, spaceport operations and range control services. I'm sure that the CAA's space team (I can't remember his name...) will coordinate all these new activities with the need for a HIRTA around the radar at their new spaceport!
gaznav liked this
Adrian wrote:From this summer, the CAA will take over responsibility for regulating orbital and sub-orbital launches, satellite operations, spaceport operations and range control services. I'm sure that the CAA's space team (I can't remember his name...) will coordinate all these new activities with the need for a HIRTA around the radar at their new spaceport!

I cannot for one minute imagine what could possibly go wrong with the CAA's involvement in such a project :lol: