Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob L
I was sure there was a previous thread about "naming the aircraft", but the search function eluded me.

So just for fun: what aircraft is this?

By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It is an early development Piper PA28 fitted with air brakes and spoilers - and with cotton wool strings attached to show airflow disruption. Needless to say these were not incorporated in the production variants.
By Rob L
Lefty wrote:It is an early development Piper PA28 fitted with air brakes and spoilers - and with cotton wool strings attached to show airflow disruption. Needless to say these were not incorporated in the production variants.

Almost... :thumright:
By Rob L
From one of the test pilots:

"Just a Cherokee 140 that was a Piper prototype to investigate full span flaps, dive brakes and roll control spoilers.
Actually flew pretty good but Piper was concerned that an average pilot could develop too high of sink rates.
A normal pattern was to maintain 800 ft until the runway end disappears below the nose on short final. The spoiler control operated adjacent to the throttle, kind of like multiengine throttles. As you pulled the power back the spoilers would extend proportionally and I think you needed to add a little power with a little less spoiler in the flair. Roll control was no issue at all."

(my bold)

Rob
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:From one of the test pilots:

"Just a Cherokee 140 that was a Piper prototype to investigate full span flaps, dive brakes and roll control spoilers.
Actually flew pretty good but Piper was concerned that an average pilot could develop too high of sink rates.
A normal pattern was to maintain 800 ft until the runway end disappears below the nose on short final. The spoiler control operated adjacent to the throttle, kind of like multiengine throttles. As you pulled the power back the spoilers would extend proportionally and I think you needed to add a little power with a little less spoiler in the flair. Roll control was no issue at all."

(my bold)

Rob

I forgot to mention the full span flaps - but basically I was right,
JAFO liked this