Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Cub was from 1937 and will probably not fly again.
The pilot is from 1938, not a scratch on him and is ready to fly again.

Quite right "- Losing engine power was like flying a glider with poor performance." - it's what I always tell my passengers...
He also quite rightly refers to focussing on flying the aircraft so it does not 'fall straight down'.

Google translate version here: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 1.15324324

Good result ! :clap:
Kittyhawk liked this
By Morten
Hah! I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the paint job on the 2 aircraft were different.
Yes, the captioned photo says he sits in the 1937 Cub that is clearly not the one which was involved with the accident. The Accident aircraft LN-KCH appears to be a 1952 model, so a mere whippersnapper.
By Flyin'Dutch'
M609 wrote:The report was out a few weeks ago. Turns out putting the fuel selector to «off» before take off ends badly.

Both the AIBN and the PIC both agree on the sequence of events

Always do your run up checks on the tank you're going to take off with.......
PeteSpencer, Iceman, Cessna571 and 3 others liked this
By TopCat
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Always do your run up checks on the tank you're going to take off with.......

Very much so.

Start the engine on the emptier tank and do all the taxying on that; change tanks for run up, then leave the selector alone.

Doing it in this order tells you fuel is getting through from both tanks.

Many years ago, I started the engine once with the fuel off (not intentionally, I might add).

I got less than a minute at low rpm before it stopped. It would have been a lot less than that at run up power in my aeroplane.

Quite reassuring actually.