Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Kemble Pitts
I went into Cark in September 2012. Very welcoming but the runway was pretty shabby and the ground off the runway was, literally, ankle deep mud.

Might have changed, one way or the other.

Take wellies maybe?
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unfortunately. for decades Walney Island has been closed to public visitors.

It's owned by BAE Systems Marine, and the Pooley's plate explicitly says: "This aerodrome is not accepting visiting acft, ATS available for approved flights only."
By proteus
riverrock wrote:
proteus wrote:For Avgas your only choice now is Kirkbride. I don't believe carlisle is open or actually has 100ll anymore.

I believe Carlisle was re-opened before Covid hit after the runway was resurfaced. I can't see why it wouldn't open again after COVID.
AVGAS price is on their website.
https://www.carlisleairport.co.uk/general-aviation

It may well open again, but with the handful of passenger stuff gone and unlikely to come back I'm not sure which direction it'll go.

When they did have avgas, Kirkbride was the sensible go to as it was often 50p/ litre cheaper. I heard in passing that because they have closed and were not selling fuel they have had it go out of date for sale and have had to have the tanks emptied and the fuel disposed of.

My understanding is that the airfield has been notamed closed since March / April last year.
riverrock liked this
By VRB_20kt
Went into Walney last year. It operates as a gliding club at weekends. Got permission to land over the radio. ISTR that the published radio frequencies didn’t match the one that was being used.

Cark runway was ok last September. Parking is on a stub of runway. The walk to the control point is through long grass but IIRC there wasn’t a lot of long grass to taxy through.
By Lefty
I went into Cark a couple of times.
The runway was in poor condition and the surrounding grass areas looked too soft and uneven to taxi onto. Maybe it’s different now, but I didn’t see anywhere that you could park your aircraft except on the runway.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
I used to visit Cark quite a bit a while back. A friend had a car parked up nearby and I had a key to it. Short walk then a drive into Grange for lunch was ideal.

A/C parking was at the old runway intersection and not a problem. Landing fee very reasonable.

Guys who run it are top blokes. Well they would be. They are Scousers after all.
kanga liked this
By cirrostratus
Cark were very accommodating when we stayed there a few years back. We flamped on the airfield and had a anxious night as a large and slow moving thunderstorm passed overhead ......being in a tent ( metal poles ) and close to the aircraft does concentrate the mind ! I remember going into the holiday camp nearby and making use of the washing facilities
By Cardinal Sin
VRB_20kt wrote:Went into Walney last year. It operates as a gliding club at weekends. Got permission to land over the radio. ISTR that the published radio frequencies didn’t match the one that was being used.

Cark runway was ok last September. Parking is on a stub of runway. The walk to the control point is through long grass but IIRC there wasn’t a lot of long grass to taxy through.

Was Walney a weekend or weekday?

Cark is short, yes? Around 400m?
By Stu B
I've only been to Kirkbride once but they were extremely welcoming and helpful, so I'd encourage anyone to give them a try.
mick w liked this