Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I love these kinds of debate because they are like religion. The chances are that nobody has ever changed their views on QNH/QFE because they read something on an internet forum.

I believe in the god of QNH. I believe in it for three reasons:

1) Most places that you fly in the world, QNH/QFE are not recognised, you'll get a single Altimeter setting which corresponds to QNH.

2) Some places you will land are sufficiently high that you can't physically set QFE

3) Thousands and thousands more people bust airspace by departing or arriving at an airfield with the QFE set, than have hit the ground in VMC because they couldn't do the maths associated with QNH->QFE.

I will add a side order to my 3. The UK Military are utterly bonkers for occasionally controlling transiting traffic in MATZs on QFE. Even foreign military laugh at them for it. Don't believe any nonsense about needing to separate circuit traffic from transiting traffic, that is what transponders and radar are for, and the rest of the world manages beautifully.

There. I've said it now.
Rob P, skydriller, David Wood and 7 others liked this
By skydriller
2Donkeys wrote:I think we should tackle 'Track Up' versus 'North Up' now! ;-)

I love these kinds of debate because they are like religion. The chances are that nobody has ever changed their views on Track Up/North Up because they read something on an internet forum.

I believe in the god of North Up (right up until I use Track Up)... :tongue:
2Donkeys, Charles Hunt liked this
By TopCat
2Donkeys wrote:I think we should tackle 'Track Up' versus 'North Up' now! ;-)

We did that quite recently, though (albeit rather tamely).

Some other possibilities:

- Landing aircraft floating in ground effect
- Whether an IMC rating is enough to fly IFR safely
- Bomber circuits
- Landing fees over £10 - reasonable or unreasonable
- Carb heat to cold on final(s) - or leave hot?
- PPL training quality/effectiveness
- Flying at night and over water in a single

and my personal favourite:

- 'The Impossible Turn'

I'm sure we can think of some other classics - and I don't think it's fair to deprive the newer members of the experience just because some of us older farts have been round the loop a couple of times.
2Donkeys, johnm liked this
akg1486 wrote: ... whether to buy a Rockwell Commander or an Arrow. (Or, as some inevitably argue, something else altogether.)

TCTSNBN?

That's one that will really baffle the newly arrived here :lol:

Rob P
johnm, skydriller liked this
Rob P wrote:
akg1486 wrote: ... whether to buy a Rockwell Commander or an Arrow. (Or, as some inevitably argue, something else altogether.)

TCTSNBN?

That's one that will really baffle the newly arrived here :lol:

Rob P

Stop confusing the students! :D