For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just had a chat with our postie on the doorstep:
He's just returned to work after 10 days self isolation after a manager in the sorting office tested positive and forced 30+ staff into isolation.

Hopefully our mail will return to normal now :roll:
johnm liked this
By TheKentishFledgling
On the subject of Royal Mail, I posted a house warming card to a friend, first class, on 22nd. The destination address is about six miles from where it was posted. It was delivered yesterday. Now I accept it was over Christmas / NY, and of course there's Covid to take into account, but that's pretty shocking to me.
By skydriller
TheKentishFledgling wrote: I posted a house warming card to a friend, first class, on 22nd. The destination address is about six miles from where it was posted. It was delivered yesterday.

I wonder if the Royal Mail have been taking lessons from Fed-Ex in the US...Your letter probably went via a UK central depot in Newcastle or something. But at least it got delivered - my experience recently has been that stuff just goes "missing" - Royal Mail blames La Poste, and La Poste blames Royal Mail...I now pay the extra 3-4 Euro for internet tracking every time, no issues so far.

Regards, SD..
By kanga
TheKentishFledgling wrote:On the subject of Royal Mail, I posted a house warming card to a friend, first class, on 22nd. The destination address is about six miles from where it was posted. It was delivered yesterday. Now I accept it was over Christmas / NY, and of course there's Covid to take into account, but that's pretty shocking to me.

One of our neighbours gets an annual Christmas Card from a US correspondent who always (~20 years) puts our house number on the address. No problem taking it round. It normally arrives early December. This year it arrived late last week. I have no idea whether the delay was with USPS, Royal Mail, or both; and perhaps USPS was particularly busy handling all those extra 'mail-in ballots' :roll:
By Cessna571
It must be highly regional, we sent a bottle of wine and some relaxing bath salts to a friend in Cumbria, from Cambridge.

Posted on Monday lunchtime, get a txt from friend on Tuesday morning, my wife says “oh, that’s Rosemary”, and I said “she can’t have got that parcel already!”

But she had, and so had my sister in law, who we posted a parcel to.

Today we are trying the new “pickup service”, 72p to pick a parcel, that’s going to be amazing if it works.
By johnm
I'm guessing that some offices are short staffed due Covid and thus a backlog builds up....
By Miscellaneous
Not just covid @johnm, a local posty (not ours) was telling me our posty is only working 2 days a week due a back injury and they are struggling to find a replacement. As a consequence we are not getting a delivery every day.
By romille
We have not seen a postie this week, there are several items that we are expecting to be delivered. Yesterday someone paid £6.85 to have one sheet of paper in an envelope delivered by 13:00 today, guess what, it has not showed. :x

Edit, the whole weeks mail appeared at 15:00 today, including the by 13:00 item, the postie never even blushed when I pointed out to him it was 2 hours late.
Last edited by romille on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cjrpaterson
We hadn't either, until today when they showed up with several days of post. Guess illness/self-isolation is affecting things.
By VRB_20kt
Royal Mail service seems to have fallen off a cliff. I imagine it won't be long before there is an announcement that "First Class" now means something like 80% of letters delivered within say 3 working days. It's difficult to see how an organisation can actually make money out of a diminishing number of letters and i suppose the concentration on parcels is inevitable. Conceivably it's possible that RM will get taken back into public ownership in much the same way that the railway franchises are now (I am told) controlled by the government.
By riverrock
romille wrote:We have not seen a postie this week, there are several items that we are expecting to be delivered. Yesterday someone paid £6.85 to have one sheet of paper in an envelope delivered by 13:00 today, guess what, it has not showed. :x

They can claim a refund within 14 days of posting if they kept the reciept.
They can then claim compensation for the delay of £5 or £10 depending on when it arrives.
https://www.royalmail.com/retail-compen ... licy-delay

Interesting that you can claim compensation for delay of first or second class mail - I didn't know that.

I don't know if they are saying that COVID is outside of their control so are not paying out.
By Propwash
To be fair, our postal service has, apart from a 3-4 day break during the first lockdown, hardly missed a beat. Get almost daily deliveries which was the pattern before the pandemic. We usually get our regular postie except when he has his leave. I don't blame him for the fact that much of what comes through the letter box I really don't want to see. :wink:

PW
kanga, Nick liked this
By PeteSpencer
Our postie is a lovely bloke:

Its not his fault that online stuff I order takes 5-10 days by post and is next day by couriers....

Peter