Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
I met up with Duncan again last year. He's pleased people are still using his fold. As a student back in the late 1980s he spent a fair amount of time devising it.

Rob P
By Fellsteruk
Take a look at pooleys they do a rolled map will be better than a prefolded transair one.

I’ll have to try this fold as flying out of Liverpool/hawarden I have to keep both a north and south chart being on the edge

Total pain in the butt
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:Take a look at pooleys they do a rolled map will be better than a prefolded transair one.

I’ll have to try this fold as flying out of Liverpool/hawarden I have to keep both a north and south chart being on the edge

Total pain in the butt

The postage for a rolled chart in cardboard tube will make yer eyes water

The light creasing of a folded chart really doesn’t affect the McKillop folds if you follow the instructions exactly ie crease the folds with a ruler
By marioair
Agree. The key is the tip around breaking the back of the folds which makes it much easier to just flip over the page.
By Fellsteruk
I’ve also thought about cutting the legend off before folding or folding the legend out the way before folding the whole thing to cut the size down a little further.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:I’ve also thought about cutting the legend off before folding or folding the legend out the way before folding the whole thing to cut the size down a little further.

No, don't cut it off: There will be plenty of times when you need to refer to, for example, who to contact for a danger area crossing service or to identify a chart symbol that you may have forgotten/never learnt................. :wink:

McKillop's method works perfectly well for the southern chart: Cant speak for Scottish: Never owned one: I go south for my serious jollies.....
By F70100
Does anyone remember the 1970's TV Fly on the Wall documentary "Fighter Pilot"? They used a brand new OS 1;50000 chart for every flight, drew the line, cut off the wasted bits 10nm either side of the line, did the flight then threw the chart away afterwards.

However, if your route would be covered by an A4 sheet, why not do a colour photocopy of the relevant bit. Mark it up with the specifics for that trip, write on it with a normal pen etc, etc. An A4 page will fit a 70nm leg at 1:50000. You can keep it as a souvenir of your flight...

Keep the "official" chart in your bag in the back for dire emergencies.

Don't forget to have some extra sheets copied if your potential diversions don't fit on the first bit of A4.

Threats and mitigations to this plan?

Inaccurate colour representation - make sure you've got a decent printer.

You might spill something on it - do 2 copies.

Any more?
T6Harvard liked this
By JAFO
F70100 wrote:Does anyone remember the 1970's TV Fly on the Wall documentary "Fighter Pilot"? They used a brand new OS 1;50000 chart for every flight, drew the line, cut off the wasted bits 10nm either side of the line, did the flight then threw the chart away afterwards.

I was in the RAF and was used to this practice. When I had a later job, flying mainly with pilots from the Army Air Corps who appeared to be issued a chart at attestation which had to be kept pristine for life and was lovingly fablonned for protection, I used to cut my charts up just to watch them go pale.

The RAF did not have such things as colour photocopiers in the 1970s. There is a rumour that it had two in the 1980s but aircrew were not allowed to use them.