For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By oldbiggincfi
Can somebody explain what is going on ?

Bought a cheap spray gun as disposable item for £ 17.99 on ebay.
Went to checkout on PayPal now £ 21.59.
Contacted seller to bill me for £17.99
Replied not me it's ebay
So who gets the £ 21.59 ?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
oldbiggincfi wrote:Can somebody explain what is going on ?

Replied not me it's ebay

The VAT man taking his cut?
By eltonioni
It's the price + 20%, ie VAT.

There was a story a few days ago that post-Brexit eBay was tightening up on (mainly) Chinese traders who were pretending to be UK/EU based traders to cheat the exchequer out of the VAT. https://www.globalvatcompliance.com/eba ... merce-vat/
By Sooty25
I have to charge my customers VAT, so why should they be allowed a competitive advantage. We have to fund this country somehow.
Last edited by Sooty25 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
Did you order it through 'friends and family': That doesn't cause a charge to be raised .
By GrahamB
PeteSpencer wrote:Did you order it through 'friends and family': That doesn't cause a charge to be raised .

It's not PayPal that are raising the charge, it's eBay being obliged to collect the VAT.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Boxkite
oldbiggincfi wrote:Can somebody explain what is going on ?

Replied not me it's ebay

We need a link to the item on Ebay.
By oldbiggincfi
riverrock wrote:Is this the change that come in with Brexit, in which the UK expects foreign sellers to register for UK VAT (which is different to every other country in the world which does import taxes instead)?
https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/global- ... at-changes

This came as a surprise
Free delivery and no mention of VAT.
I expected to pay £17.99 at checkout Not £ 21.59

I suggest those of us who buy from eBay read the above in order that we are not forced into paying more than expected.

Hopefully , sellers will list with the total price to pay to include VAT ; delivery; etc to avoid any confusion .
By Flyingfemme
Hmmmm.. So what happens when you have paid the VAT to Ebay and the Post Office deliver your parcel with a VAT demand (plus processing charge)?
By Pete L
That used to be a goldmine for couriers - the processing charge for duty already paid. Will we also be seeing the freight forwarding vultures returning to UK airports?

(After my one brief encounter, the very nice HMRC man took me aside and helped me fill out the paperwork for lowest cost ...I hope they're as helpful now).
By Flyingfemme
riverrock wrote:Is this the change that come in with Brexit, in which the UK expects foreign sellers to register for UK VAT (which is different to every other country in the world which does import taxes instead)?
https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/global- ... at-changes

Actually, it's far more complicated than that and has been brought in before now - but the intra-EU stuff has been simpler because the EU sellers could just charge B2C customers their own VAT and that was that. Unless you breached thresholds (different in every EU country) when it got more complicated.
I tried to post the 2019 VAT thresholds spreadsheet but the forum software didn't like it!
By oldbiggincfi
Boxkite wrote:We need a link to the item on Ebay.

eBay Have now separated the VAT with an explanation but no option to reject the increased cost .

map5623 wrote:About time to.

As a buyer I expect the seller from China to` be Honest !
This item was already in the UK .