For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Wholesale reform is easy to say and very hard to do. The first step is to determine what might be wrong, the second is to consider how that might be fixed and the third is to check that the cure isn't worse than the disease......
@johnm - I don't think that @flybymike was talking about the people sitting on benches and, for once, I wholeheartedly agree with him.

I am a huge supporter of the police in the UK, I will usually defend their actions because I know what a difficult job they do but the sight of massed gangs of British police officers locking up law abiding citizens who have not broken the law simply because they can't be bothered to actually read the law they think they're enforcing is pitiful.
Flyin'Dutch', Robin500, eltonioni and 1 others liked this
By johnm
@JAFO I had some sympathy with Bournemouth police, rather less for the Derbyshire lot.

TBH 5 miles for a change of scenery doesn't seem unreasonable to us, we have done that and it lifts the spirits a touch and that is not without importance. On the other hand when one rolls into a car park Mr Plod doesn't know if you've done 5 or 50, so it's a bit tricky in fairness, though a DVLA check would show where it's registered.

Hanging around the sea front I'm a bit less comfortable about, but a well spaced walk on the sea front or the beach ought to be OK for exercise.

The key issue is staying away from other people after all......
John, absolutely, the key is to stay away from people but for the police the key should be to enforce the law, not their opinion.

johnm wrote:...when one rolls into a car park Mr Plod doesn't know if you've done 5 or 50, so it's a bit tricky in fairness...

Nothing tricky, John. In England, there is nothing in the law to limit the distance travelled and as the police are there to uphold the law, there's nothing for them to worry about. Of course, the guidance says to stay locally, so they can educate people regarding that but they cannot enforce it.

I have no sympathy for the Bournemouth police, they are trying to enforce laws that do not exist. If you have left your home for the purpose of taking exercise (as many times per day as you wish, regardless of what the police officer in the clip said) and you pause during that walk to rest and drink, you are not committing an offence and should not be handcuffed and led away.
johnm, skydriller, Charles Hunt and 3 others liked this
I suppose the difference between what the Bournemouth / Derbyshire Police did and how the police behave in oppressive regimes is that in an oppressive regime you could slip the officer a tenner and be on your way.
Our postie says that the police sit in prominent positions by the roadside jotting down vehicle registration numbers. There could be a follow-up action - “why were you travelling.........”
Bill McCarthy wrote:Our postie says that the police sit in prominent positions by the roadside jotting down vehicle registration numbers. There could be a follow-up action - “why were you travelling.........”

There is certainly some fairly ridiculous travelling for exercise going on, driving to Snowdonia for example! A distance from home limit might be needed.
The other day my wife was going to our Sainsbury's, so we went for a walk together and then she went in to shop on her own while I sat in the Tesla watching Netflix :D Probably against the guidance......
By flybymike
There is certainly some fairly ridiculous travelling for exercise going on, driving to Snowdonia for example! A distance from home limit might be needed.

If travelling in a sealed container such as a car with only your own household or bubble (or the permitted one other individual) for the purpose of exercising away from others, what is the increased transmission risk of travelling a “long” distance as opposed to a “short” distance?
JAFO liked this
@flybymike probably no increased risk of transmission by much greater risk of being stuck up a tree without an ambulance arriving for a few hours. This happened yesterday near us... and before you ask, I have absolutely no idea! :?

The trouble is it's some degree of common sense/adherence to the rules..

Risk minimal, but just suppose you drove 150 miles to, oh, let's say Barnard Castle, and by chance you did infect the guy at the filling station, then you have transported the virus to a new distant area.

5,10, maybe 15 miles feels local. 100 plus miles is clearly taking the pi oops sorry, mickey.
johnm, MikeB liked this
By Dodo
I think that as a 65 year old this would put me off flying commercially until immunised even if it was possible.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/3/20-4714_article

"Genomic Evidence of In-Flight Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 Despite Predeparture Testing"

(as I read it, one, or possibly two, pre-symptomatic passenger(s) with a negative pre-flight Covid test infected 4 other passengers in a reasonably well spaced out airline cabin during an 18 hour journey.)
MikeB liked this
By flybymike
Risk minimal, but just suppose you drove 150 miles to, oh, let's say Barnard Castle, and by chance you did infect the guy at the filling station, then you have transported the virus to a new distant area.

Just as likely to infect someone in the local area as a distant one, especially if out in a local urban area rather than a distant rural one.
Are there any distant areas not already infected where new loose strangers pose a risk compared to local yokels?