Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Stewart Oxley
OK I know this may sound daft but how do you do it? My instructor sits there with his chart and it's all razor sharp and neat. No matter where he wants to show me....quick flick of the wrist and we have a new location!! The clever bit is that there is only ever a surface area the size of an A4 sheet visible.

My attempts usually look like a copy of the Times after sitting on a train seat for 2 days.

I've heard there's a special technique for folding the map and if I really cast my mind back then I believe Keef mentioned a 'patent xxxxxxx fold" when I flew down to Bembridge with him, trouble is I can't remember the name..........so help a poor student fit a chart on a kneeboard.

Whats the secret........and where can I get some instructions ?
By Stewart Oxley
Thanks for that....I think. It sounds like an extra ground school session!!

I'll have a few practice attempts first on the plain paper.
By Adam
Its dead easy and very rewarding when you get it right :D
By Keef
Yep, that's the one. The Duncan McKillop fold.

Trouble is, my charts are on subscription from Transair and they arrive already folded - wrongly. They end up creased every which way. One day I'll iron 'em or pick 'em up unfolded. [Mind the flying pigs, too]
By Wbryce
flyingfemme I used that guide with my Scotland chart....it still doesn't look right...

I definately went wrong somewhere, the maps only good if im flying north or south :lol:
By wobblyprop
Wbryce wrote:flyingfemme I used that guide with my Scotland chart....it still doesn't look right...

I definately went wrong somewhere, the maps only good if im flying north or south :lol:

Then follow the instructions - go down the pub!

Steve. :drunken:
By gokhart
Statement 6
Be prepared to modify the instructions for charts that are taller than they are wide, Scottish chart for example.
By Wbryce
yea i found that part, but i wasn't really successful :lol:
By cessna152towser
Many thanks, Flying Femme, for the link. I'll try the Duncan MacKillop map folding method on my Northern England and Northern Ireland chart and see if it works.
By Graham Potts
Stewart,

Why don't you ask your instructor to show you how to fold your chart - and when he's done it.... thank him! You could even get the coffees in while he is doing it!!

I've got away with this for years now!
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm still convinced it's a black art. To date, my attempts usually end with someone getting elbowed in the nose as I wrestle with acres of chart. :oops: :lol:
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trouble is the McKillop fold puts our strip right on a crease So I end up with a double size sheet:

Bit clumsy _that 'll teach me to fly out of darkest East Anglia

:evil:
By Rob P
Pete S wrote:Trouble is the McKillop fold puts our strip right on a crease So I end up with a double size sheet:

Bit clumsy _that 'll teach me to fly out of darkest East Anglia

:evil:

That's classic 'glass half full, glass half empty'

I always think how lucky we are being on the horizontal fold as generally heading a bit north or a bit south there's a complete page to crawl across until I reach the next crease

Rob P
By marioair
Flyingfemme wrote:Instructions helpfully here

this led to a dead link so found it posted here instead
Aerials liked this