For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@akg1486 I did do a double-take when I saw that guy on tv but assumed it was one of The Village People, as MrT6 was sat beside me.

New mental image of the long-suffering MrT6?
He was wearing his Iron Man powerpack T-shirt that glows in the dark.

It goes without saying that you don't have to be mad to live in our house but it certainly helps :lol:
kanga wrote:.. just to inject a bit of aviation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Sabre :)

[In, of course, every 'Hawker' Typhoon, all actually built by Gloster :thumright: ]

Ah but...the Napier Sabre was not an opposed piston engine. A 24 cylinder 'H' configuration, one horizontally opposed flat 12 sleeve valve engine on top of another, but no opposing pistons.
rf3flyer wrote:..
Ah but...the Napier Sabre was not an opposed piston engine. A 24 cylinder 'H' configuration, one horizontally opposed flat 12 sleeve valve engine on top of another, but no opposing pistons.

true, but it was another bit of Napier innovation, which yielded the first piston engine to achieve 2,000+hp while weighing (initially) <2 tons; in 1938! Later, of course, they achieved even more (but also weighed a bit more). The sleeve valves (also used by the Bristol Centaurus) were also an innovation (but not a home-grown Napier one).

In US, these sorts of powers and power/weight ratios were achieved in production engines only with later, multi-row, radials; although there were some (unsuccessful) Lycoming trials of the H layout.

</nerdish intrusion on an 'entertainment' thread :oops: >
The Napier Deltic produced for minesweepers (low magnetic signature) and fast patrol boats was a 18 cyl/32 piston opposed engine. Cartridge started, went from stopped to operating speed in a split second. Two crankshafts turning in one direction, the third in the opposite.
HMS Dreadnought’s DC generator was an 8 cyl Fairbanks Morse vertically opposed shunting engine design. Lethal if it didn’t start first time.
The Wilksch (?) horizontally opposed aero engine was displayed at Sywell LAA rally at few years ago. Did it come to anything ?
kanga liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:...
The Wilksch (?) horizontally opposed aero engine was displayed at Sywell LAA rally at few years ago. Did it come to anything ?

I don't know about that engine. Most WAM engines which I've seen or seen illustrated were inline, 2-stroke, avtur, diesel in concept, including a 4-cyl. But the company came to Staverton quite a while ago. I don't know if they're still there.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Wilksch WAM 120 was three cylinders, standard in-line engine but inverted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilksch_WAM_series

There was supposed to be a 4 cylinder version but it wasn't put into production I don't believe.

The opposed piston one you're thinking of Bill was the Diesel Air 100 which I mentioned on the previous page.