Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By r_w_walker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FLYER Feb Issue.
Very interested in the item "Aviation Tyre Pressure System" but "details" link does not work.
Found a similar system for Motor Trikes but no uk suppliers.
Can someone send a link that works please.
By r_w_walker
Thank you for the response Ian.

This is the item I found, significantly less expensive than the aviation item mentioned above.

SYKIK Rider SRTP630, tire Pressure Monitoring System for Trikes and 3 Wheelers, CanAm, Spider, Harly Davidson, Goldwing
Brand: SYKIK
3.7 out of 5 stars 35 ratings | 17 answered questions
Price: $59.95

However, I know that aviation valve caps have a seal as a secondary safety device to the tyre valve.

These sensors must disable/depress the tyre valve to obtain a reading, hence reducing two safety features preventing loss of pressure to one.

But you can easily check the tyre pressures before every flight.

Before my last flight I noticed my tyres did not look fully inflated.

Main tyres were down to 16 lb instead of 24lb per sqr inch. Pumped up before flying.

They have probably been losing pressure slowly since the last service but not noticed or apparant before.

Looking forward to a working link to see full details of the device mentione in FLYER.
By Krys
r_w_walker wrote:EdH and BoxKite.

Thank you for the link .

Need to check the valve stems are metal. Not recommended for rubber valve stems,

Hi Community,

More than 100 system are installed. Many on rubber valve without any problem.

This information from the producer, about a metal valve, belongs to bikes with more than 200 km/h driving speed.

There is also another rim diameter to an microlight and a bike, so we have differnet force to the valve.

If you want more information, don't hesitate to ask me. :)

Best regards..
Krys
By PeteSpencer
Slight thread drift:
While keef RIP and I were on one of our US West Coast jaunts our hired Arrow’s tyres , sorry tires, looked a bit soft overnight .

The airport, Page AZ ,had a natty system where you could fill a small cone shaped metal pressure container like a fuel can with compressed air from a static air system then just carry it over to the a/c and pump the tires. It had proper valve attachment and pressure gauge .

Does anybody know if such a system is available/legal to buy in UK ?

Would have saved a ton of hassle when I arrived at our strip to find a soft tyre Our foot pump which hadn’t been needed/ used for years was u/s and I had to get one of the farmers men out with a compressor.
(We subsequently bought a compressor in view of the multitude of tyres in the hangar :wink:
By Boxkite
PeteSpencer wrote:The airport, Page AZ ,had a natty system where you could fill a small cone shaped metal pressure container like a fuel can with compressed air from a static air system then just carry it over to the a/c and pump the tires. It had proper valve attachment and pressure gauge .

Used to be very common in petrol stations, but I can't remember if I saw them more in the UK or Europe.
When you return the can to its 'hanger' the hanger was actually a pipe with a valve that would open and refill the can.

My memory is of a more basic plain ali container than the one below though.

By PeteSpencer
That’s the idea : the US one was a basic conical tin can with carrying handle and not a little rust.

Never seen one in UK or Amazon

May be illegal (safety grounds possibly?)

Edit :altered my search criteria and found ‘em!

Only £300- £400 :shock:
By Jonzarno
BoeingBoy wrote:I was interested in those as well however this was the only product I could find for GA.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/tiresensor.php

I'm not sure if these are the same / similar to those referred to below, but nonetheless here is a post from a highly respected instructor on COPA:

I was at dinner with the wife when I got called. A COPAn went for dinner and came back with a flat - at 6:30pm, on a Sunday, when it’s cold. My wife looked at me with the “again…ok…” look, left dinner early and I had my 2 spares, tubes and tools in the trunk and a mechanic otw in about 20 minutes. A 45 minute flight and a cold ramp awaited.

When we got there the first thing noticed, besides the low tire pressure all around and usual flat spots and rubbing on the fairing from low TP were those little 2/3 oz wireless tire pressure monitors. Sure enough, that was the final coup de gras for that tire. The second main wasn’t far behind it as low TP had eroded the sidewall from contact with the fairing.

That 2/3oz device is mounted on the stem and gets accelerated from 0-80mph in 6 inches. That’s an acceleration of roughly 400 Gs. That means, every landing put out 25 lbs of force to the valve stem and eventually ripped the valve stem away from the tube.

Expensive lesson that did not have to be for the guy. So keep a spare in the trunk and dont use TPMS

And another quote (not me) from the same thread:

A friend of mine installed them on his Dakota about a year ago. Dropped me at the SC to p/u my plane… good. Had an inflight deflation due to leaking monitor (they depress the valve stem to provide continuous pressure monitoring). He landed at a remote NorCal airport and almost lost the plane. Had he gone to his usual spot (E55 Ocean Ridge) he would have ended up in the trees.

Based on those and other similar experiences, I would want some reassurance before fitting these to an aircraft.

FWIW I use this rechargeable compressor in my car. I haven't tried using it on my aircraft yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H3M34WW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1