Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By A le Ron
ls8pilot wrote:Following on from the above - I assume with a twin and wet wings the flow from the props as you accelerate will clear the water drops off the leading edges pretty well so making wet wings less of an issue ?

Wet wings are not an issue, as at 160 kt they are soon effectively dry wings. But ice beads are an altogether different proposition. Particularly with the Twin Com, which has a laminar flow wing and really doesn't carry ice well.
ls8pilot liked this
By A le Ron
oldbiggincfi wrote:
A le Ron wrote:
PA28 wrote:A proper flying machine.

Or not, as the case may be!

The propellers are a bit close to the ground .

True. I once had a prop strike taxiing through a rut (slowly, diagonally, under a marshaller's guidance) :(
A le Ron wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:
A le Ron wrote:Or not, as the case may be!

The propellers are a bit close to the ground .

True. I once had a prop strike taxiing through a rut (slowly, diagonally, under a marshaller's guidance) :(

Really liked the Twin Com but back in my charter days took an Aztec for rough field work .
Don't, if you go there, ever consider taxing on the grass at Redhill .

If yours has injected engines beware of the Alternate Air levers.
Not so exciting at 100ft , finding black smoke and a dying engine .
A le Ron liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PA28 wrote:The PA28-160 gained a third window, a throttle quadrant and a trim wheel in 1968 according to 'The Piper Indians' book.

The 1969 Cherokee 140 I used to fly still had the plunger throttle, sunroof trim handle and no third window. The 1974 Cherokee 140 I used to fly had gained the throttle quadrant (and toe brakes on the driver's side IIRC) but still retained the sunroof trim handle.
PA28, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Lefty wrote:
A le Ron wrote:Some older twins had that. Hence the expression “balls to the wall”

Not sure that is accurate. The older twins (mostly) had levers, but with balls on the end of the levers.

Probably you are far too young to know but tell me can you remember what throttles your Mosquito Had ?

Going back to the original forgot to mention damage to the paint work.

Ice being flung from the props on to the fuselage .

Over dinner tonight, I asked my wife , who before marriage was oft my cojo , what she remembered .

" Terrible banging - thought I was going to die "
Flyin'Dutch' liked this