For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
malcolmfrost wrote:One technology won't be the answer, it will be a mix.

Maybe personal transport will end up being a hybrid of H2 and battery.

If you mean the vehicle parc will be a mix of Hydrogen-powered vehicles and EVs, I think that is a given.

Rob P
By Rob P
But that puts you back to the hybrid issue of carting around two separate motive units, one of which is generally doing nothing but add weight.

Rob P
Apart from being predictable and clean (albeit requiring batteries at nonflow times) , a bonus with tidal power lagoons is that they can create sheltered water aerodromes :)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
It's interesting to have a root around on ITM Power's website to see the practical application of hydrogen as fuel. They have been quietly plugging away at this stuff for years. The share price has doubled since December's New Green Deal announcements. https://www.itm-power.com/

This year's COP Cliate Change conference in Glasgow should've interesting too. Fully expect lots of talk about how carbon can be priced into markets and products to "help" consumers understand the real impact of their choices and adjust behaviour accordingly. Not sure that will be great for GA, or any motive power vehicles for that matter.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The obvious first way to decarbonise is to add hydrogen to the existing piped natural gas - all condensing boilers manufactured after 1996 in the UK can handle up to 23% hydrogen in the supplied gas. Can't be that many 14 + year boilers around still and I'm sure an incentive scheme could help them.

Once we make our electricity supply 100% non-carbon (few more nuclear power stations might help?) then converting electricity to hydrogen may make ecological sense.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
If you want tidal power build the Severn barrage. Huge volumes of water and one of the largest tidal ranges in the world.

Ah, no, the greenies who want clean power decided that it would affect wading birds, so that trumps any sort of scientific/engineering logic.
Charles Hunt wrote:If you want tidal power build the Severn barrage. Huge volumes of water and one of the largest tidal ranges in the world.

Ah, no, the greenies ...

AIUI, the various Severn tidal projects have been stymied by the refusal of Treasury (ie, in London) and national relevant Ministers to authorise necessary long-term funding; whereas
a. they have done so readily for 'new nuclear' (also opposed by some 'greenies'), whose unit price for power yielded would be more than that for large-scale tidal; and
b. massive cost overruns for transport schemes of direct use to those in London and the South East have been nodded through by the same Treasury and Ministers

Happy, as ever, to be corrected
By kanga
skydriller wrote:
kanga wrote:AIUI, the various Severn tidal projects have been stymied by the refusal of Treasury

Are you sure? I seem to remember that it was wildlife concerns too.

wildlife concerns were, indeed, cited in the UK Government's refusal; but have not prevented their approval of other projects which Ministers have favoured. :roll:
I have long thought of setting up a business to produce 'rare bee orchids' and 'great crested newts' for hire to NIMBY protesters to every development.

I wonder can I get lockdown funding for this?

Rob P
kanga liked this
Rob P wrote:I have long thought of setting up a business to produce 'rare bee orchids' and 'great crested newts' for hire to NIMBY protesters to every development...

client base might include some threatened airfields .. :)
Rob P liked this