Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It may be of interest ref, the Scorpion. I had been told that the Scorpion design rights were bought up by Chris Draper of Medway Microlights with the firm intention that they would never again be built. He, I'm told, had the firm belief that it would always be lethal and it was for the best that it would never again see the light of day.
It was the Pathfinder that was guilty of forming my interest in microlights, as an occassional glider pilot I saw one fly at an air show, the sheer simplicity appealed and wriggle as I might I was hooked.
G-BLEW wrote:
avion ancien wrote:I wonder if someone might tell me if I would be trespassing upon terre interdite if I were to post here hyperlinks to another forum where I've uploaded the results, so far, of my research into the accidents involving the Johnstone & Fountain Microwave and the Southern Aero Sports Scorpion microlights.

Not terre interdite, mais il vaut mieux le poster ici - c'est plus sympa :-)

Ian

Thank you, Ian. I won't continue in French. I suspect that it's not necessarily the flavour of the month in the UK at present! :wink:

As I am not the only contributor to the threads on the other forum, of which I spoke, and because I do not think that it would be proper to post here the input of other people there, I'll decline your invitation and thus avoid what would present, inevitably, a rather disjointed picture - particularly as these are 'work in progress'. But if anyone wishes to have hyperlinks to the topics on that other forum, please send me a PM and I'll send those to you.

Whilst it may be true to say that the AIB report into the crash of the Johnstone & Fountain Microwave is in the public domain, I don't think that it's accessible online or easily obtainable. I had to ask the AAIB for a copy, which it kindly provided. I'll try to upload a copy of it.
Groundspeed wrote:It may be of interest ref, the Scorpion. I had been told that the Scorpion design rights were bought up by Chris Draper of Medway Microlights with the firm intention that they would never again be built. He, I'm told, had the firm belief that it would always be lethal and it was for the best that it would never again see the light of day.
It was the Pathfinder that was guilty of forming my interest in microlights, as an occassional glider pilot I saw one fly at an air show, the sheer simplicity appealed and wriggle as I might I was hooked.

That sounds like a very Chris Draper thing to do - he was hard work at times, but his heart very much in the right place (and still beating so far as I know, although he's retired and sold up most of the business).

I've been fortunate to fly a few of the very early microlights. Chris' Medway Halfpint was an absolute pleasure. The Chotia Weedhopper was a lot of fun, but as we used to say in certain professional circles "a good Test Pilot School aeroplane". I had a Goldwing for a bit, that I don't think ever failed to frighten me every time I flew it, but was beautiful and very efficient - it would lend itself to a modern version without having to change all that much (maybe get rid of the bomb doors!).

I think that my two favourites however of the early era, both of which I've owned, were a 447 engined Southdown Raven, and the good old Thruster TST. Okay, probably 2nd generation, rather than first, but both an absolute delight to fly - and actually remarkably practical aeroplanes.

G
lobstaboy, patowalker liked this
avion ancien wrote:Whilst it may be true to say that the AIB report into the crash of the Johnstone & Fountain Microwave is in the public domain, I don't think that it's accessible online or easily obtainable. I had to ask the AAIB for a copy, which it kindly provided. I'll try to upload a copy of it.

Safety Notes on Page 70 here, also includes the AAIB reports on Scorpions G-MBLI and MBUN.

My first aeroplane, circa Spring 1981, The Eipper-Formance Quicksilver MX.
Engine_ Cuyuna 430.
Astonishing STOL ability. Flat out around 45Kts. Imported from the USA, it was the first of it's type in the UK for which I paid £1680, split between me and my pal. Although a 3 axis machine, the control yoke operated the rudder, whilst the pedals operated spoilerons for roll encouragement! The pedals have been enlarged to form a mud guard. My pal was the Farm manager so the strip was also frequented by a dairy herd. This often involved a splat of wet cow dung across the face at or round lift off, which I was happy to endure for just a few minutes magical flying, but the big pedals did help a bit. Being entirely open at the front it was like sitting on the toilet steering around the sky. Huge fun.
At the time there were no licencing requirements, but also no microlight schools or instructors. We both read a book about gliding and on 14th April 1981 taught ourselves to fly. Hops of a few feet very quickly saw me "accidentally" airborne after which I enjoyed the most exciting 20 minutes of my life. Halcyon days.
lobstaboy, patowalker, Groundspeed and 3 others liked this

The Ultraflight Mirage mark one. The engines were 2X 100cc KTM go kart racing engines, with full expansion pipes and no silencing. It was ear splittingly loud, but flew very well. Shortly afterwards I sold it and got a Mirage MK2, which had the Kawasaki 440 engine. That was a great machine, although it did break two drive shafts. The Mark 2 would cruise at 55 knots and do over 70knots with a bit of 'downhill' but handled very well.

The ubiquitous Eagle Microlight. It had a unique control system of weight shift and elevator on the canard with tip rudders operated by the handlebars. Powered by 2X Chrysler 9hp two strokes, so I guess this was my first twin. It was rare for both engines to work for too long, but when the first one packed up, the other was usually good for a few more minutes. It did glide very well, so engine outs were more of an inconvenience than a danger. :shock:
JAFO wrote:@Gordon Freeman - fascinating views of the early days, thank you.

@patowalker - there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity and your photograph of you in the Nomad was just about the bravest thing I've ever seen :shock: :D :thumright:

Flying it or putting the pic up on here? :D

Can't say it appeals to me as an aerial carriage...
patowalker, JAFO liked this
@JAFO
I don't think bravery came into it. If you want to fly, you're going to fly. I had enjoyed launching that hang glider from 12000' in Quito, and when I was posted to Lima, in a coastal desert, I needed to find a way to get back in the air. That contraption seemed like a good idea as, in theory, flying it required little more than hang gliding skills. However, it was not long before I received a letter from the wife of a Nomad pilot in the UK telling me that, following a crash, her husband was in hospital with brain damage, and begging me not to fly it again, so I didn't. A decision made easy by another aircraft becoming available.

The designer of the Nomad was Rupert Sweet-Escott. You might want see him trying to sell a later design on Dragon's Den..
JAFO, MachFlyer liked this
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
That sounds like a very Chris Draper thing to do - he was hard work at times, but his heart very much in the right place (and still beating so far as I know, although he's retired and sold up most of the business).

I've been fortunate to fly a few of the very early microlights. Chris' Medway Halfpint was an absolute pleasure. The Chotia Weedhopper was a lot of fun, but as we used to say in certain professional circles "a good Test Pilot School aeroplane". I had a Goldwing for a bit, that I don't think ever failed to frighten me every time I flew it, but was beautiful and very efficient - it would lend itself to a modern version without having to change all that much (maybe get rid of the bomb doors!).

I think that my two favourites however of the early era, both of which I've owned, were a 447 engined Southdown Raven, and the good old Thruster TST. Okay, probably 2nd generation, rather than first, but both an absolute delight to fly - and actually remarkably practical aeroplanes.

G

Yes I'm afraid that Chris retired after a motorbike accident left him more limited than before, definitely one of lifes good guys.
While I've never been a flexwing pilot the dear ole TST is still one of my favorite aircraft. I always liked the look of the Goldwing until I saw one departing Popham on a very choppy day, that looked scary.