Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
...and everyone is flying off to various airfields again, what will happen?

More airspace busts?
More currency related pilot incidents?
More engine/airframe related incidents?
Will the skies be quieter due to a vast number of lapsed medicals, Permits, and licences?

I know pilot training has continued, but there have been a lot of airframes, engines and pilots who haven’t flown for nearly a year.
Nick liked this
By skydriller
This has already happened over the summer.

Flew a friends aeroplane to his maintenence outfit in September. Spotted a familier aeroplane in pieces on a trailer. It was an ex-aeroclub Robin we sold last year to another club. Apparently a week after flying was allowed here, on start-up the pilot let it race off colliding with another club Robin on the apron, the Instructor/Student that had just started the other aeroplane thankfully OK. Two aeroplanes trashed.

The pilot hadnt flown for 3months or more - there was a month of bad weather, then C19 restrictions for 2+ months here - he had forgotten/had not set the park brake & tried to hold the aeroplane with non- existant toe brakes (Half Robins have toe brakes, the other half have a hand brake only).

Regards, SD..
By proteus
It'll be interesting to see

I tend to think there will be an increase as you outline. Following my aircraft being stuck at an airfield that wouldn't allow flying earlier this year I had a few electrical gremlins which appeared. Nothing major and I was able to sort them after quite a bit of investigation.

I also wonder about complex aircraft which are normally used for longer international trips that have laid idle. A rusty pilot hopping into a fast complex machine which has been sitting for a long time seems like a recipe for trouble.
By johnm
We've been flying to a degree all the way through and though rusty I managed to get through both medical and IR reval before the second wave hit.

When rusty checklists and deliberately seeking out orange scaly bits helps a good deal IMHO.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Hooligan
Maybe a good time to have a buddy system in place - either to fly with you or at least to go through planning/checks/etc before starting the engine and ensure nothing has been forgotten or is being rushed?
johnm, T6Harvard liked this
By Highland Park
Hooligan wrote:Maybe a good time to have a buddy system in place - either to fly with you or at least to go through planning/checks/etc before starting the engine and ensure nothing has been forgotten or is being rushed?

It’s another reason why I religiously use checklists pre - startup and have never consigned them to memory, even if the one for the Colt isn’t that complex.

Ian
By PeteSpencer
Checklists and checklists again: Slower pace than usual: no rush................

Choose good weather and not time flight just before sunset.....................

First flight will prolly be just local with a PFL thrown in if I'm in the mood.

Did manage to polish off a few hours and IR revalidation (and medical) end September but it's still been three months........................... :(

A/c has a few snags I want sorted first though................... :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnm, T6Harvard liked this
By rikur_
I think 2020 actually saw the most flying in our syndicate since it was founded.
Helped by a combination of airfield remaining open, lack of alternative pass-times or holidays away, and one member being an airline pilot with little else to fly.
In answer to the op's question - my guess is that we'll see some busier than normal fair weather flying days (as those that can still fly all rush back at once) - but overall a decline in activity for the lay-up reasons mentioned.
By JodelDavo
I suspect those who don't fly a lot normally, will have the most currency related issues. There's normally a few fatalities around March most years when the weather improves , which I've always thought were down to lack of currency.

I haven't flown since 9th December and apart from getting itchy feet and being so bored I have tackled some long awaited chores at home, it hasn't worried me about laying off flying for so long. I normally fly around 400 hours a year; 220 hours in 2020 wasn't too bad.

Hopefully if/when society gets back to normal, it will give us instructors lots of work. :thumleft:
T6Harvard, AlanC liked this
By ROG
I normally fly around 70 hours a year -P1- with another 50 or so doing radio for mates.
When i last had a big break-2 months I took my time --always use check list---just double checked what I was doing.
Even with a couple of thousand hours under your belt you can miss/forget something.
Ideally after a long break -when possible--go up with a mate who can let you know if you miss something.
gasman, JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
By malcolmfrost
I haven't flown since August and that's the longest time since 1971! An enforced end to my day job due to a fractured/dislocated shoulder resulting in license suspension, and now it's mended a flight test is needed to get my medical back and we have Covid! Luckily group rules mean I will be flying with an instructor first. :D
By BoeingBoy
Having spent over £10k on new cylinders for my Archer in the last two years I've maintained engine health each month and kept up with three take offs and landings since March but little else.

Even with fifty years of flying behind me it's been noticeable that my proficiency has decreased and the number of small errors that I debrief myself about have increased.

I do find that flying a home sim and at least keeping up with checklists and drills helps a lot but of course it can never replace the real thing.

Sadly I do think we will see GA produce a far worse safety image over the next couple of years. Let's hope that doesn't result in a knee jerk reaction from the CAA about currency rules or aircraft maintenance.
By shortwing
Reading various social media groups theres more interest in content from many thank actual currency.

If people act responsibly and book instructors as required then hopefully we won't see a bad safety image.