Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dominie
TheFarmer wrote:It rarely seems to pay to be loyal to these people these days.

Sadly that's the modern way. It used to be the case that long-term customers (for almost anything, not just insurance) would get a better deal, but nowadays it seems to be expected that you will shop around and that you are a mug if you don't.

A couple of years ago I let my AA membership lapse at renewal time and then joined again a week later, with a decent reduction in fee. Crazy, isn't it?
flybymike liked this
By PaulSS
I've been happy with FlyCovered since I got my machine. Last year I paid £630 for the on- demand policy (basically includes 7 days and then you add cover for the other days you fly). I've just had my renewal come in and it's £609 :D Also, as I failed to crash, I get 8 days cover before I have to top up.

I'll be renewing with them.

Edited to add: after updating my hours the premium dropped to £576. I think this is a positive start to 2021 :thumleft:
Last edited by PaulSS on Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulSS
Do you have to contact them to arrange cover before each flight?

It's all done online. You can pre-book the days and, so long as you cancel by midnight the night before, can un-book the day and it then goes back into your bank of days to use.

I just wait until the day and, when I know I'm going to go flying (weather's okay etc), just do it on my phone. You just login to your account, tick the box for the day you want to use, enter the PIN you've set up and 'ping' the insurance confirmation email comes through. I would say 2 minutes, max, from beginning to end and no need to call anyone.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
it then goes back into your bank of days to use.

You only get a certain number of days each year to fly?
as you cancel by midnight the night before,

I just wait until the day and, when I know I'm going to go flying (weather's okay etc), just do it on my phone.

You say in one part that you must cancel by midnight the day before, and in the second part that you cancel on the actual day.
I typically wouldn’t decide until the day itself, and would not want to book what might turn out to be a wasted day in advance, or alternatively be unable to fly because I waited until the actual day when it was too late to book? :scratch:
By PaulSS
You say in one part that you must cancel by midnight the day before, and in the second part that you cancel on the actual day.

No, if you pre-book the days then you need to cancel before midnight to avoid losing a day (that is not flown following your booking).

I didn’t say you cancel on the actual day; I said you can book on the actual day and that’s what I normally do.

As for the number of days you get, it depends on what cover you select. You can select the ‘ground cover’ one, which covers you for all the normal ground stuff and you then pay for each time you fly. You can get the ‘on demandI’ cover, where you get ground cover and 7 days of flying included and then you top up as required. For each additional day I would pay about £14 but it’s cheaper if you buy them in a block. Finally you can get ‘normal’ insurance that covers you all the time. The good thing about the ‘on demand’ is that if you fly a lot and end up having to buy loads more days then the total cost will never exceed the premium for the ‘normal’ cover for the year; so you’ve got nothing to lose.

The’ normal’ cover was far more competitive than the usual insurance suspects as well :D
flybymike liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
All sounds a bit complicated and yet another thing to remember to me.
I think I might find myself in situations when I had either forgotten to 'book' the insurance or alternatively 'cancel it' if I couldn't fly for some reason.
At least if I just gulp hard at the premium and pay it annually I know it's all sorted insurance wise for the rest of the year come what may! :D
flybymike, Nick liked this
By PaulSS
All sounds a bit complicated and yet another thing to remember to me.
I think I might find myself in situations when I had either forgotten to 'book' the insurance or alternatively 'cancel it' if I couldn't fly for some reason.

Another thing to remember: Yes. Complicated: No. The whole process is very simple and I'm quite happy paying nearly £700 less than if I didn't have to remember.

I cheat by having an electronic checklist on my EFIS. The first line reminds me about PPR/Flight Plans, switching on the CO detector and making sure I'm insured.