Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It’s less that than I suspect the MAX fleet is about to have all manner of minor incidents because the jets have been parked for so long. Not exactly a problem limited to the MAX of late either - wasted seals, pitot static problems &c have been legion lately with aircraft coming out of storage. Airbus aircraft particularly really don’t like being turned on for the first time after a long rest. One pair of colleagues spent several hours trying to start the engines and gave up.

It’s just that the press is laser focussed on anything wrong with the MAX.
Josh wrote:...Airbus aircraft particularly really don’t like being turned on for the first time after a long rest. One pair of colleagues spent several hours trying to start the engines and gave up..

A lot of vehicles dont like being sat for long periods without use.
Does it get worse the more electric/electronic the whole system becomes.
The Airbus is certainly the worst aircraft I’ve come across for weird computer bugs when starting from cold. I think it has to do with sync malfunctions due to the way they distributed the functions across the 7 different computers when they designed the system in the 80s. Most of the processing for one function is done on one box, but a tiny bit on another with spare capacity is how it’s explained to me.

This is all on top of the general mechanical malaise of sitting around doing nothing.
cirrostratus wrote:As an Engineer, the worst aircraft hands down for problems when reactivating had to be the Locheed Tristar

I once worked on Nimrods and we showed that the best way to keep one of those serviceable was to fly it as often as possible - we once did 180 hrs in a month (that's a lot of hours in the RAF!) with one airframe as it had an early date for a major. At the same time we had to fly all the others at least once per week...

As regards the MAX being in the news if just a light bulb breaks, I also have no sympathy as I reckon Boeing have brought that on themselves with their poor management/cost cutting/design failures etc. It is entirely to be expected and I will avoid flying in one.
kanga, Iceman liked this
By Wide-Body
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Boxkite wrote:How practical is that? Not easy to know what you will be flying on when you book. Or are you going to check it out from the departure lounge and walk away?
Anyway, haven't they renamed it?

American airlines will state on your booking if its a MAX. You have then the option to book.

They have not renamed it. Lots of conjecture, but at the end of the day, a dog is a dog.
By Iceman
Boxkite wrote:How practical is that? Not easy to know what you will be flying on when you book. Or are you going to check it out from the departure lounge and walk away?

In my case, fairly easy.

1) Not envisaging any commercial flights in the near future.
2) For me to do a short-haul flight for which a 737 is typically used would be rare (I did do an internal flight in the US last year, but that was after the Max had been grounded).
3) If the flight was to be a route for which a 737 was a possibility, avoid the airlines that have bought the Max in the first place, or see if I can find out which type will be operated on that sector.
4) With my regularity of short-haul flights, 1) to 3) should give me several years of verifying that no further accident / incident occurs.
5) Fly myself - it’s more fun !

Iceman 8)
By avtur3
Anyway, haven't they renamed it?

I'm sure if individuals feel strongly enough they will be willing to accept a degree of inconvenience to satisfy their desire not to fly on a Max. In some cases, it'll simply mean avoiding a particular airline altogether, where those not using the Max may become preferred carriers of those who are concerned.

I'm sure some people will simply want to avoid a Max as a matter of principle, no matter how safe it can be proven to be. We'll all make our own decisions based on our own thoughts and values.