Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-o ... e-53097044

"Homes England owns Chalgrove Airfield in Oxfordshire but leases part of it to ejector seat manufacturer Martin-Baker.

It has said it will use a compulsory purchase order if it needs to get the company to leave half of the site but hopes both developments can co-exist.

The plan has proven unpopular with some residents...

It is included in South Oxfordshire District Council's Local Plan, which will be assessed in July.

Worries over Chalgrove Airfield stopped the authority's Local Plan being assessed in 2018 but it was included in another by the council later that year after a review.

A new Liberal Democrat-Green coalition elected to lead the council in May 2019 had hoped to scrap that Local Plan, but Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has ordered the authority pass it by December."
Housing Secretary Jenrick, hmmm, hasn't he been in the news recently?

Yes, now I remember, forcing through a housing development for a mate of his against all local opposition and against what the planning inspector said. Sounds like a fellow you can trust - nothing to see here...
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Kemble Pitts wrote:Housing Secretary Jenrick, hmmm, hasn't he been in the news recently?

Yes, now I remember, forcing through a housing development for a mate of his against all local opposition and against what the planning inspector said. Sounds like a fellow you can trust - nothing to see here...

Nothing to see at all. You can ignore the family connection to the mining war over phosphates in the NE as well. :D

Which companies are involved in Chalgrove development?
Bathman wrote:Although its is always a real shame to see airfields close. On the grounds that you weren't allowed to actually use this one. Is it such a loss?

I'd say any established aerodrome that is built upon is a huge loss. It's difficult to establish a new site in this country, let alone expand them, but very easy to get rid of them.

I've landed at Chalgrove, you just have to know the right people. The same for most private aerodromes I should think?
By Paul_Sengupta
Bathman wrote:Although its is always a real shame to see airfields close. On the grounds that you weren't allowed to actually use this one. Is it such a loss?

Yes, because it could have been turned into a nice GA airfield, all it needs is a restaurant.

Once it's built on, another decent hard runway airfield is lost forever.
johnm liked this
By johnm
This is just one symptom of a much wider disease and we can only discuss symptoms because the blunt fact is that the disease is serious and political. You might like to think on that but not on the forum.
lobstaboy liked this
Flyingfemme wrote:Surely hangar homes would be the perfect compromise here? Commonhold ownership of the land, keep the aviation activity (and may be bring in some aviation businesses) and let Martin Baker keep doing what they do.

Alas, America we aint..... You do realise that UK GA has pretty much shrunk to a few farmers in flip flops gloating about how they can fly around their farms without a care in the world and the balance of club flying gentry that will just roll over. AKA there are not enough recreational pilots left that will buy those houses........
TonyC, JodelDavo liked this