Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If manned aviation was released from the overbearing burden and cost of regulation imposed by our shockingly costly inefficient unqualified and incompetent CAA there would be no case for these “aerial toys” The regulator appears to be being overly helpful to the UAS sector at great damage to the already struggling GA sector! Regards Stampe.
JodelDavo liked this
By Iceman
Some interesting points in that BBC link.

Following the successful flight there are plans to introduce a daily drone freight service between the mainland and Scilly next summer.

He added that the "aircraft have 98% fewer emissions than a manned equivalent".

We are certainly in interesting and changing times where regular drone services may start to proliferate. It would be interesting to know what form of EC the drone is emitting. I would hope ADSB.

I wonder who got the bottle of gin :lol: ?

Iceman 8)
By Morten
Iceman wrote:Some interesting points in that BBC link.
He added that the "aircraft have 98% fewer emissions than a manned equivalent".

It would be interesting to know what form of EC the drone is emitting. I would hope ADSB.

Not the same kind of emissions, I suspect ;)
I assumed they basically meant that since it has no person on board it weighs less = less engine = less carbon emissions.
It'd be sad/ironic/moronic if they cut down the EC emissions by 98% as well :clown:
Iceman wrote:
We are certainly in interesting and changing times where regular drone services may start to proliferate. It would be interesting to know what form of EC the drone is emitting. I would hope ADSB.

Iceman 8)

From the TDA on the AIS Website

The RPAS will operate between surface and 2500 FT AMSL. As the RPAS will be operating Beyond Visual Line of Sight and has no Detect and Avoid capability, a Temporary Danger Area (TDA) will be established to facilitate the safe operation of the RPAS.
Iceman liked this
By Morten
Iceman wrote:Yes, I wasn’t suggesting that the EC and carbon emissions were linked.
Iceman 8)
I know - I just thought it was an interesting coincidental juxtaposition :)

I thought it was interesting how this 'drone' was a traditionally configured low fixed wing and nothing more outlandish. Normally, by removing the needs of a person wrt shape, size, mass, need to look out etc., the optimal design changes dramatically. But I guess it's much easier/cheaper/quicker to design something which has a large degree of semblance with traditional designs.

Marvin wrote:From the TDA on the AIS Website
The RPAS will operate between surface and 2500 FT AMSL. As the RPAS will be operating Beyond Visual Line of Sight and has no Detect and Avoid capability, a Temporary Danger Area (TDA) will be established to facilitate the safe operation of the RPAS.
(My underline)
None at all? :shock: Let's hope there's no puppyfarm crossing the runway at St. Mary's when it comes in to land... I assume it has some controlability/manoeuvrability at either end?
Iceman liked this
By Morten
I would have thought the dude/dudette sitting in front of the big screens would be able to control it at both ends, i.e. a singe operator and probably cheaper than a fully fledged CPL skygod. But then why could they not detect and avoid in transit as well? They could surely also monitor an EC-powered device as well as a 360-capable camera on the aircraft - duly assisted with some AI if required?
I would like to know from an avoidance point of view if it is equipped with ADSB out and on what frequency?
Is it using 1090 Mhz the common ADSB frequency, or is transmitting ADSB on the frequency that no-one is currently fitting and using, but Goodwood are going to use on their Drone trials in the spring, ADSB on 978Mhz!
By Stampe
A pitiful payload on a trial that should be taking place from one of the the designated trials airfields Aberporth or Llanbedr.Publicity seeking trying to get the oxygen of publicity by involving the good name of the NHS.I sincerely hope that nothing of essential health nature is being used as a payload on this trial and why is NHS resource being wasted at this critical time by involvement.Skybus pilots are on very low pay so a nerd at a computer screen at either end will not represent a saving! Regards Stampe.