Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:
Duct Tape. A friend of mine is a former B-52 Crew Chief, and they carried cases of the stuff for temporary repairs, if required!

wouldn't that be speed tape?
in my engineering days it never went down well with the crews if we were seen to be putting tape on the wing or engine cowling after the passengers had embarked :?
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Gaffer tape is vinyl coated, leaves minimal residue when removed and is generally a matt finish (so used for theatre work). It normally has a bit of heat resistance, which can be useful.
Duct / Duck tape is polyethylene coated, generally cheaper, shiny, has a little bit of elasticity.
Both of the above have a cloth weave for strength along its length, but allow easily ripping across.

Speed tape is aluminium coated, much more expensive.

T6Harvard, Rob P liked this
rikur_ wrote:
Rob L wrote:
Duct Tape. A friend of mine is a former B-52 Crew Chief, and they carried cases of the stuff for temporary repairs, if required!

wouldn't that be speed tape?
in my engineering days it never went down well with the crews if we were seen to be putting tape on the wing or engine cowling after the passengers had embarked :?

Possibly, rikur. It's that sticky woven stuff, better purchased from elsewhere than Walmart or the like :thumleft:
I love these failures of logic - and heaven knows I make enough them! - but at first glance duckt tape is just like a roll of overgrown insulation tape with a bit of fabric support isn't it?

Thanks to crash one we have all learned that it really isn't.
Charles Hunt wrote:I love these failures of logic - and heaven knows I make enough them! - but at first glance duckt tape is just like a roll of overgrown insulation tape with a bit of fabric support isn't it?

Thanks to crash one we have all learned that it really isn't.

I have learned a lot in 80 years of failures of logic!
Try standing in a loop of rope attached to a block and tackle and lift yourself off the ground very easily by pulling on the rope in the normal fashion. Place a mattress on the floor first!!
Charles Hunt liked this
T6Harvard wrote:My grandad taught me 2 valuable life lessons - never put your foot in a loop of rope or cable and always store cables without tension, coiled neatly. Even when wrapping up the vacuum cleaner, I make sure the cord is not tightly wound or straining the cord grip :D

Exactly!
Standard basic Seamanship taught in the Royal Navy from day one.
T6Harvard liked this