Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The hard fought agreement permitting the reciprocal recognition of FAA and European flight crew licences seems to have been signed in Brussels last week.

I am amazed that this seems not to have received more of a fanfare. I have only so far seen it reported in the French AOPA online magazine here.

On the face of it, when implemented (date to be announced) this will allow licence holders on both sides of the agreement to see their licences validated for use in each other’s aircraft. Licences in scope include commercial and instrument qualifications, not just PPLs.

I assume that the UK, being outside Europe by the stage of implementation will need to cut its own agreement.
2Donkeys wrote:The hard fought agreement permitting the reciprocal recognition of FAA and European flight crew licences seems to have been signed in Brussels last week.

I am amazed that this seems not to have received more of a fanfare. I have only so far seen it reported in the French AOPA online magazine here.

On the face of it, when implemented (date to be announced) this will allow licence holders on both sides of the agreement to see their licences validated for use in each other’s aircraft. Licences in scope include commercial and instrument qualifications, not just PPLs.

I assume that the UK, being outside Europe by the stage of implementation will need to cut its own agreement.

I only had a quick read last week, but from that I didn't see a completely hassle free validation route, and possibly even something a little harder than had been originally suggested for FAA to EASA IRs. (skills test as opposed to the equivalent of a revalidation flight).

I believe the date for N reg ops in EASA land to comply with the requirement to hold equivalent EASA licences has just been extended to June 2022.

Who knows what we'll do in the UK, or when we'll do it.

Ian
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I've just had a read through the agreement on licencing. It's a lot less impressive than one might have hoped.

If you have a PPL, CPL or ATPL either side of the Atlantic you may present for a *test* for a PPL only - in Europe that's a skill test, in the USA it's a (biennial) flight review.

In both directions if you have a CPL, OR at least 50 hrs PIC IFR, including at least 10 hours PiC IFR on their side of the Atlantic. The 10hrs bit didn't previously exist in Europe, so that a marginal improvement.

In Europe if you want to put your IR onto any professional licence, you have to have passed the EASA IR writtens. That is a new requirement that did not previously exist, as previously with 50hrs PiC IFR you could simply present for skill test, and the licence you'd exercise the IR on didn't matter.

So the real changes are:-

- Going EU to FAA you no longer need to pass the full FAA IR written, but do need to pass something written.

- Going FAA to EU, you can no longer put the IR onto a CPL without also taking the EASA writtens, unless the route currently in FCL for ICAO IR holders remains in place.

- Both ways, the IR transfer now permits 10hrs PiC IFR , as an alternative to the full 50hrs PiC IFR - possibly a small advantage for a few.

No fanfare here.

G