Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
This is the West Midlands LAA Struts First Zoom meeting with Keith Vinning OBE who gave a presentation about Situational Awareness and Electronic Conspicuity. The presentation covered exiting EC devices, how they operate and future functionality. The WM Strut was pleased to welcome nearly 90 attendees from all over the country which demonstrates that there is great interest in this important subject. The meeting was recorded for those who were unable to attend. Please feel free to share.
GAFlyer4Fun, patowalker liked this
bvq wrote:It would be interesting to have a similar presentation by someone from uAvionix discussing their wares.

And also from other certified manufacturers of ADSB out transponders and ADSB receiving equipment, eg Garmin, iLevil, Funke, Bendix King, Stratux. Its all out there both in "home brew" and professional.
gaznav liked this
Personally, I prefer Ian Seager’s video - no company involvement, no spin, no snake oil, no fake science and only practical experience.

You obviously missed the part where Keith showed the small gap in the atom grid coverage where Ians test took place. Purely a coincidence I'm sure. If you think there is snake oil and fake science in the presentation please be specific and tell and provide proof.
rohmer, Rob P liked this
Hi Gaznav

If that is the very worst criticism you can come up with of an excellent presentation that obviously took some considerable time to prepare and present then I think Keith has done a brilliant job of silencing you.
He even answered your only criticism within the presentation and that makes me wonder if the area chosen by Ian Seager to run his investigation was deliberate.

Well done Keith .

Regards
Alan
flyinfox wrote:Personally, I prefer Ian Seager’s video - no company involvement, no spin, no snake oil, no fake science and only practical experience.

You obviously missed the part where Keith showed the small gap in the atom grid coverage where Ians test took place. Purely a coincidence I'm sure. If you think there is snake oil and fake science in the presentation please be specific and tell and provide proof.

Which is absolutely not the full story.

FACT there are three transmitters locally, all of which I personally flew to and around several times as part of my research. I haven't watched Keith's video, but I am sure that would have been mentioned.

When we can fly again, I invite anyone interested to come fly with me - bring your own Rosetta.

Ian
Iceman, gaznav liked this
AlanG wrote:He even answered your only criticism within the presentation and that makes me wonder if the area chosen by Ian Seager to run his investigation was deliberate.

Really? You actually wonder if I deliberately do that? Have you read the feature or watched the video?

FWIW I'm based at Lydeway, we flew from Lydeway. See above re the three separate LOCAL stations.

Ian
gaznav liked this
[quote="gaznav"]Personally, I prefer Ian Seager’s video - no company involvement, no spin, no snake oil, no fake science and only practical experience.

The poor coverage of the ATOM grid ground stations was quite a revelation in Ian’s video.

Gaz,

<My bold> , but you were given a free Sky Echo :!:

Why don't you get a PAW and test the range for yourself and report some of your own findings rather than your usual unhelpful 'keyboard warrior sniping'. :roll:
I was most impressed with the vid that Ian produced, and I think he made it clear that the test was one specific area. My own big take from his tests was that the position of any device antenna is the most important thing. The ground station thing seemed pretty obvious to me and I really dont understand why some seem so hell bent on knocking the concept. To me now, seeing @gaznav post about PAW is a bit like a Labour MP commenting on the current govt...Its become predictable and so a wee bit tiresome...

Regards, SD..
gaznav wrote:@Straight Level

<My bold> , but you were given a free Sky Echo :!:

Would you like a copy of the receipt for £600 for the SkyEcho 1 that I bought literally a month before the SkyEcho2 came out? :roll:

It is very convenient that Ian managed to fly in exactly the place where ATOMgrid doesn’t work, isn’t it...

Good grief

Good grief indeed.
So how do drones that emit ADS-B avoid PAW emitting aeronautical participants?

on a different note, the incessant attacks from PAW aficionados on Gaznav and making incorrect and false statements is loathsome and frankly should be honoured by having their posts donked or their accounts blocked. Ditto suggesting that Ian would go out of his way to make a particular product 'look bad'

Get over yourselves.

There is enough internet about for those who want to exercise their freedom without having to come on here to insult participants in debate and discourse.
gaznav, ls8pilot, Shoestring Flyer and 2 others liked this