Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Dave W wrote:That URL has a problem, apparently due to the CAA's use of brackets within it.

I tried to use tinyurl.com to simplify a direct link, but that failed for the same reason.

If you go to CAP1985 here, and then open the PDF from that page, it seems that it will work.

Hopefully that link will not expire.

This issue may be at least part of the reason that take-up has been poor.

Another reason will be that the contents of that document are evidently assuming the presence of an online form and which ask the responder to select options from a list and enter comments into a "free text box" - neither of which are available within the PDF!

Poor show. :?

I possibly wasted a good hour of my life completing this but it works perfectly ok Dave? CAP 1985 is the blurb, within that blurb it explains how to respond, there is also a link to the survey itself. Much as "they" wind me up I fear the problem with being able to complete this might be currently sat in your chair?

Snorker
Snorker wrote:I fear the problem with being able to complete this might be currently sat in your chair?

Yes, thanks for that. :?

I am not a GA professional. I have to do this stuff in amongst running a career and a life.

It is NOT simple to determine how to complete that document.

"How to Respond" does not appear until Page 15, and then it is a sub-bullet.

If it truly is desired that all stakeholders - including those for whom this stuff is not their dayjob - complete this, then it has to be obvious and EASY to do.

It is (to use a forum word with some history behind it) rather disingenuous to suggest that people are not interested in commenting when in reality they absolutely are but don't have the time to fight through dross to determine how to actually deliver their pertinent comments.

Presentation and advertising of that material is the product of a classic bureaucracy, not of an organisation that truly thinks about how to get wide-ranging and pertinent feedback.
Boxkite, B1engineer, Kemble Pitts and 1 others liked this
I agree Dave W.

Everyone comes across easy to use websites on a daily basis so it's not rocket science.

The reason the CAA can't construct an accessible portal with effortless steps to interact with it seems strange. My only thought is it comes down to money and a lack of investment in developers who do this stuff properly.

I've made suggestions about improvements to a number of CAA pages over the months and seen updates/upgrades come and go without my suggestions incorporated which is very frustrating.

An example is the Airspace Change Portal function. I search on Sponsor but after each search the dialogue box reverts to the default - it doesn't think my next search will be for a sponsor so adding 3 clicks to every search. :roll:
Different people have different opinions about what is easy and what is irritating and what is incomprehensible.

Some people have a mental block with forms no matter how well presented they may be, yet when they phone up, for example, an insurance company the operator is asking the questions and in effect completing the form for them.

So, back to this CAA consultation, if someone cant work out how to do it but kind of know what they want to say, then just write it an email with the consultation reference in the subject line, and send it to the GA Unit. Also give them a clue why you could not respond the official way.
ls8pilot liked this
Head of GA Unit has put out a reminder about this consultation which runs until 18th Dec 2020.

As you all know, three weeks ago the CAA launched UK General Aviation opportunities after leaving EASA – a consultation: This consultation is an opportunity for you to share your views on the direction of future regulation and shape how we work more effectively with you and the UK GA community.

Responses were initially very good but have recently plateaued at the 600 mark. We are working on a range of communications channels to ensure the consultation is available to as broad a GA community as possible. In the meantime could we please ask that you help drive participation in this consultation within your organisations plus use any levers at your disposal to help drive participation to all representatives.

The consultation can be completed here and closes at 2359 on the 18 Dec.

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/ga/uk-general-aviation-opportunities-after-easa/
CloudHound wrote:I've made suggestions about improvements to a number of CAA pages over the months and seen updates/upgrades come and go without my suggestions incorporated which is very frustrating.

An example is the Airspace Change Portal function. I search on Sponsor but after each search the dialogue box reverts to the default - it doesn't think my next search will be for a sponsor so adding 3 clicks to every search. :roll:

That's simply poor programming. I used to do user acceptance testing on systems sometimes and it's exactly the sort of thing I often found. My bank website had a really annoying glitch on the exit process which I first reported four years ago (and twice since) and they have only just fixed it!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I think all faith in the CAA within the broad GA community has evaporated.Pilots feel abused by the CAA and the levels of competence and qualification of staff in the supposed Authority are very low.Why waste valuable time engaging with such a broken self serving organisation! The stated recent CAA aim of making the U.K. the best country in the world for GA would require a dramatic change of attitude and management within the crumbling ant hill and airforce retirement home that exists today!
ak7274, VFRBimbler, PeteM liked this
ak7274 wrote: Grant Shapps needs to get hold of this by the proverbials and quickly.

He might know more about FAA licences, procedures and maintenance..........

And no the FAA is not a panacea either - anyone who does think that does not know the level of moaning FAA regulated pilots often do.
ak7274 wrote:Very sadly I have to agree. When retired military personnel leave the forces after upward of 25 years institutionalised mapping, how can they possibly be expected to engage with civilian pilots who are such a diverse bunch of so and so's?
Quite obviously they see us as grunts and incapable of thinking for ourselves.
There is a degree of nepotism that needs to be eradicated before any thoughts of "UK GA best in Europe" .
Grant Shapps needs to get hold of this by the proverbials and quickly.

The SoS is a pretty switched on guy and all over aviation like a rash - which you would think would be a good thing. Alas he is but one bloke with a pretty large portfolio (according to Mrs Shapps). The knock on - effect? Well meaning intentions and goolie grabbing is diluted to his minions who, whilst all round good eggs, are running around like headless chickens trying to keep up with his demands and not understanding what they're talking about. God only knows what happens when this stream continues flowing downhill to the CAA (or as they say sh*t rolls downhill), I can only imagine chaos is ensuing.

I've had a bash at the consultation - it's a bit CAA "corporate", as ever, (this reeks of huge under-investment and doing things on a shoe string) but we can only hope that something good can eventually come out of this cluster.

Btw - STAMPE - you're hilarious!! Were you rejected by the Air Force at some point? I find the constant crab bashing quite amusing but it does seem to be your pet hate.

Good Weekend All and Happy Landings - I'm flying tomorrow for the first time in 5 weeks. Might wet myself I'm so excited.

Snorker.
kanga liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
ak7274 wrote:And no the FAA is not a panacea either - anyone who does think that does not know the level of moaning FAA regulated pilots often do.

I've held a separate stand-alone FAA licence for the past 15 years. The FAA are a dream to deal with compared to the CAA. To get worse than the UK CAA, you really need to find a national agency based on the UK - i.e. the South African CAA (SACAA); only a group of their ineptitude would, by comparison, give you a positive view of the UK CAA (similar to a train ride in India on old British rolling stock)
Last edited by RisePilot on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grelly liked this