Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Article 8 of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723 allows for a reduction in training to obtain Part FCL licences, certificates and ratings if an applicant holds an equivalent ICAO licence, certificate or rating issued by a State outside of EASA

The regulation specifies that the ATO the pilot engages to provide the training may recommend a reduced course for the individual for agreement by the competent authority of the Member State - the UK CAA in this case

The UK CAA have declared a minimum amount of training for which agreement may be assumed, whilst still allowing ATO's to recommend a lower amount once the pilot has begun training and his skill level has been better established

Notwithstanding the reductions in training allowed under Article 8, applicants shall meet all the other requirements e.g. overall flying experience, prerequisites for course commencement or licence issue, theoretical knowledge examinations, skill tests, etc

From On Track reference so I believe you would still need CPL TK
TLRippon liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MattL wrote:From On Track reference so I believe you would still need CPL TK

One thing that the UK could do now it's no longer a member of EASA is to accept any ICAO CPL as proof of having the ICAO required CPL knowledge to be an ICAO recognised flying instructor,

I've said on here before that the spirit of ICAO's requirement is more aligned to the FAA system where the CPL is just a PPL on steroids, and thus the CPL knowledge is greater than that of a PPL but aligned to what's needed to teach students, rather than that European CPL which is a cut down ATPL.
By GrahamB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I've said before that in the spirit of EASA coming up with a BIR, they could come up with a basic CPL...maybe call it the BCPL... :D

Surely all the CAA have do do is create one ICAO compliant ‘CPL level’ TK examination which would allow a PPL/FI to teach ab-initio PPLs. No need for yet another licence.
Kemble Pitts liked this
By MichaelP
Been a Chief Flight Instructor in China, and in Canada. Put PPLs through their licences in Thailand.
8,000 hours or so logged instructing, but at 66 I tend to agree with Singh, it would be a struggle to go through all those exams, the expense, and the reviewing.

Depends on your age whether it is worth it or not.
I think of my own instructors at Exeter in 1973. Ex RAF, passing on their knowledge very effectively, but would they pass EASA exams now? Would they be bothered?

Last summer I was back on the job, had a few CPL students, one passed his flight test, job done.
A little seaplane flying, a long cross country flight in a Chipmunk. Some tailwheel instructing.
Do you need to know much of what is in the CPL exams to do this?
Over decades it becomes ingrained in one’s soul.

It’s better to spend the money on air fares and go and do your job where you are welcome to do your job, where your reputation is well founded.

4th December I did my one hour with an instructor here in a Cessna 152... Revalidate my SEP rating. I will do what is required to meet the regulations.
But then just before lockdown, a beautiful Sunday, I decide to go and do a few circuits... Not allowed, I would have to have a check flight with an instructor, and nobody was available.
Rules are rules regardless of “how many hours (I) say I have.”

I did 100 hours in Canada last summer, and I have spent my life teaching... Check pilot in the Tiger Club, teaching tailwheel and aerobatics in my own Condor Club...
So what now?
I deliver parcels for the Royal Mail at the moment.
But I have experience in CBT, I designed lessons for BAe and Swissair in their JAR Wings program.
I should share my knowledge online. I can still teach the World as I have taught the World, and maybe I can make a bit of flying money out of it.
If I survive Covid times, am still fit enough, I can go to Canada and do a bit of teaching there, go to Thailand...

Catching Covid and Long Term Covid may affect your Class 1 medical chances for the rest of your life, so be very careful.

Britain - EASA, rules are rules, but they preclude some people.
It’s not just here... In Vancouver there are Doctors and highly educated people driving buses and taxis, their degrees are not Canadian... All nations waste imported talent.