Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
So things move on.

I complained to Funke about the poor deal and hats off to them, they have offered a much better deal on a new TRT800, which I have now accepted and have cancelled my SE2 order since the new Txpdr is £750 after guvmnt subsidy.

So I will continue with the Stratux ADSB receiver hooked up to RunwayHD, in its nice new bespoke box (no spaghetti) and powered direct from the aeroplane.

FJ
From my endeavours to hear it from the horse's mouth..

Yesterday I called the FUNKE expert - if I get him the serial number of the two devices, he can tell me whether they can still be updated or not. If not, they offer a discount of 40 or 50% on new transponders, depending on the age of the devices.
Flying_john wrote:So things move on.

I complained to Funke about the poor deal and hats off to them, they have offered a much better deal on a new TRT800, which I have now accepted and have cancelled my SE2 order since the new Txpdr is £750 after guvmnt subsidy.

So I will continue with the Stratux ADSB receiver hooked up to RunwayHD, in its nice new bespoke box (no spaghetti) and powered direct from the aeroplane.

FJ

That is good news and in line what I discovered yesterday.

Am I correct in understanding that the Stratus doesn't work with SkyDemon?
I disagree.

If they offer me 40% or more (depending on age of the thing), why should you settle for less?

(Listening to their chap yesterday I have some sympathy for their position and have to admit that I thought a 40 or 50% rebate for kit that is 10 or more years old is not a bad deal)

Better than what Garmin had on offer for those who procured a GTX 330 IIRC Pete Spencer will have the details.
Yes the Stratux e version for Europe does work with Skydemon and uses GDL90 type data format (instead of flarm format data) for passing information to the Electronic Flight Book (Skydemon, RunwayHD, Foreflight etc).

It also has the ability to receive Flarm and surprisingly, some enterprising yoof, has added an option to receive PilotAware transmissions.

It also supported bearingless ModeC targets but is a configurable option and the advice is to leave it switched off.

So - now expecting my new TRT800 in the post, and my advice to anyone offered the 40% discount is to press for 50% and free shipping as the shipping is high at 25 +VAT.
Incidentally why is German VAT only 16% ?

I wonder how the TRT "knows" or is configured to SIL=1 when an approved GPS is connected ? I think in the Trig, there is a menu option (A,B,C,D) for different SIL values.
patowalker wrote:FD,
Did you give them any indication of the year your transponders were bought? If not, it sounds like they are offering 40%for even the oldest ES models.

I asked him if I had understood him correct that the least amount of discount that was on offer for any of the TRTs was 40% - Answer: Ja.

Discussion was in German; and whilst I am not a native speaker my German is good enough to fix folks here.
Flying_john wrote:Incidentally why is German VAT only 16% ?

Because the German state, knowing they can vary VAT as they like without having to answer to anyone, including the EU, decided at the start of the COVID pandemic that reducing the VAT to 16% would benefit most people the most. Their low rate is 7% (no change as far as I know)

It is set to return from 16-19% on 1/1 although I suspect the 16% may continue for a bit.

Most debates about dough in the German parliament are about how to spend the budget surplus - no doubt a few have to be mentally resuscitated as this year will see a budget deficit of course.

:D
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
patowalker wrote:FD,
Did you give them any indication of the year your transponders were bought? If not, it sounds like they are offering 40%for even the oldest ES models.

I asked him if I had understood him correct that the least amount of discount that was on offer for any of the TRTs was 40% - Answer: Ja.

Discussion was in German; and whilst I am not a native speaker my German is good enough to fix folks here.

Smart cookie.

One of my bosses claimed speaking German was easy, it was just bad Dutch. :D
patowalker wrote:..
One of my bosses claimed speaking German was easy, it was just bad Dutch. :D

<continuing drift :oops: >

'Pennsylvania Dutch' is, of course, only Old Palatine German ('Deitsch') :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch

</>

[<open goal for language geek :oops: :) > ..It has some fascinating vocabulary for 'local' ie North American things, presumably named there before they were by German speakers in Europe. The prefix 'Welsch-' (an old Germanic word for 'strange, foreign' whence the Anglo-Saxon 'Welsh' for the Britons whom they encountered and displaced) is sometimes used

Turkey (bird!): PD Welschhaahne, Ger Truthahn
Corn (maize): PD Welschkarn, Ger Mais

.. but much is readily recognisable after minor mutations from contemporary German or Dutch

It's interesting how it has survived, possibly through use in Churches and by religious groups, in Pennsylvania and elsewhere; whereas Welsh, which was commonly spoken in mining areas of Pennsylvania, has not. Indeed, PD-speaking areas include several places still with Welsh names, suggesting PD speakers displaced the Welsh, who adsorbed English </>
patowalker liked this