Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By dangerous pete
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have a copy of 'The Thin Blue Line', written during the war, about a group of teenage recruits learning to fly and their early combat sessions. I also have the follow up 'The Avengers' about their later exploits. This is all real life stuff. They are also printed as 'War economy standard' , thin paper, and smaller margins . There are photographs though. Takes you back to a different age.
By Rob L
I've just finished re-reading "An Old Captivity" (ISBN 9780099530121) again a Nevil Shute novel, now published by Vintage Books (whom I see have been taken over by Penguin).

It tells about the trials & tribulations of float flying in the north; rather apt I thought, for our PBY friends!
kanga liked this
By kanga
Rob L wrote:I've just finished re-reading "An Old Captivity"..

It tells about the trials & tribulations of float flying in the north; ..

pub 1940; presciently, 20 years before the discovery of Viking archaeology at L'Anse aux Meadows in Northern Newfoundland :thumright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows
Rob L liked this
By Rob L
kanga wrote:
Rob L wrote:I've just finished re-reading "An Old Captivity"..
It tells about the trials & tribulations of float flying in the north; ..

pub 1940; presciently, 20 years before the discovery of Viking archaeology at L'Anse aux Meadows in Northern Newfoundland :thumright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows

He was ahead of his time in many ways :thumleft: The fact that it was published in 1940 could be overseen by a casual reader; it could have been about a flight in the 1950s or60s.
He's my favourite aviation author.
kanga, Dave W liked this
By Hooligan
I think I read most of Nevil Shutes's books when I was at school - we had a great school library! - and have recently acquired several - No Highway, Trustee from the Toolroom, A Town Like Alice, On the Beach, Whatever Happened to the Corbetts plus Slide Rule - all great reads. Don't think I've read An Old Captivity though... yet.
By Rob L
Hooligan wrote:I think I read most of Nevil Shutes's books when I was at school - we had a great school library! - and have recently acquired several - No Highway, Trustee from the Toolroom, A Town Like Alice, On the Beach, Whatever Happened to the Corbetts plus Slide Rule - all great reads. Don't think I've read An Old Captivity though... yet.

You were indeed fortunate if your school library had those :D .

Due to relatively new publishers, and the Trustees of the Nevil Shute Estate, they are all available in new print through many book sellers. I prefer the printed & bound version myself; no doubt they are available in electronic format too.
By Hooligan
It was good - I seem to recall wading through the complete works of Graham Greene as well. Ian Allan was a School Governor and his various aviation, railway and other publications took up a fair bit of space in the reference section.

I'll add more Nevil Shute books to my library - prefer print as well...
By Uptimist
I just finished the “Flight Lessons…What Eddie Learned” series by James Albright
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flight-Lessons-Basic-Learned-Meaning/dp/0986263001/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2LB69VXQWXV33&keywords=Flight+lessons+Eddie&qid=1666175429&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjk4IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=flight+lessons+eddie%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-3

It follows the career of a pilot in the US Air Force then flying biz jets. Fairly strong ego as you’d expect but an interesting study mostly into how people do or don’t get on with each other. @Flintstone - I think the last book would be particularly up your street with a focus on CRM in the biz jet world.
By Uptimist
Fright Level wrote:
Uptimist wrote:Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-N ... B0B7N3TLXG

You'd need to change your Amazon region to a US address to be able to buy it, even with a VPN. Reluctant to do that in case it wipes any of my UK sourced titles.

I have two seaparate accounts one for UK and one for USA as many titles not available on both. That does mean you need to read on two separate devices too, if you want to keep your kindle library on each device. Alternatively you can use kindle cloud reader which doesn’t require device registration but you do have to be online. Lots of workarounds!