Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AminK
Hi

@QSD any chance you would share your long brief power point presentation with me. I'm currently doing a CRI (ME) course and need to prepare a lecture / long brief (asymmetric flight) and would like to have a view of how you have built yours. (just want to get an idea of how I can bult my presentation)

Many thanks and look forward hearing from you
QSD wrote:I have a full set of PowerPoint pre-flight briefs, plus a number of long briefs. Happy to share. PM if you want a copy.

Sorry to trouble you but I’m just about to undertake an FI course and I wondered if you would be prepared to share your knowledge and briefs ?

Kind regards,

Mark White
mark <at> rosebank <dot> uk <dot> net
By Longfinal
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For those starting the FI course, may I suggest you engage with the Teaching and a Learning element and then prepare your briefs. If they don’t work for you, try another tack. It’s about your ability to instruct. It’s nice to have a shortcut but much better to think it through for yourself rather than plagiarise something that might, or might not have worked for someone else.
Lockhaven, scd975, Dusty_B and 1 others liked this
By Lockhaven
Longfinal wrote:For those starting the FI course, may I suggest you engage with the Teaching and a Learning element and then prepare your briefs. If they don’t work for you, try another tack. It’s about your ability to instruct. It’s nice to have a shortcut but much better to think it through for yourself rather than plagiarise something that might, or might not have worked for someone else.

I couldn't agree more with @Longfinal why is it in this modern day that many want the work done for them !

When I did my instructor courses in 1987 you were guided through the course, however it was up to yourself to generate the required briefs, lectures etc and when you delivered them they were evaluated by the course instructor and you were given advice were and how to improve them, this was repeated until they were thought to be meeting the mark.

I still have all of my pre flight and long briefs that I spent many weeks developing and putting on to overhead projector perspex sheets, the only issue now would probably be finding an overhead projector :lol:
By Genghis the Engineer
Longfinal wrote:For those starting the FI course, may I suggest you engage with the Teaching and a Learning element and then prepare your briefs. If they don’t work for you, try another tack. It’s about your ability to instruct. It’s nice to have a shortcut but much better to think it through for yourself rather than plagiarise something that might, or might not have worked for someone else.

Yes.

When I do a board brief, on a whiteboard, I'm talking and teaching at about the rate I write, and I'm building up an image as I discuss it.

Putting everything up at once, in a form that suited somebody else's patter, strikes me as actively counterproductive.

G
Lockhaven liked this
By QSD
Andy89 wrote:@QSD Hello, was really hoping you would be kind enough to share the powerpoint document with me, I'm starting the FI course next month! Many thanks, Andy

Sorry Andy, I only just saw this post. I’m happy to share my briefs (pm me your email address) but you should be aware that the biggest value I get from them is from writing and updating them.
T67M liked this
By David Wood
Genghis the Engineer wrote:

Yes.

When I do a board brief, on a whiteboard, I'm talking and teaching at about the rate I write, and I'm building up an image as I discuss it.

Putting everything up at once, in a form that suited somebody else's patter, strikes me as actively counterproductive.

G

It's horses for courses, I think. When I was taught to be an FI it was suggested that white-boarding was the best way to teach.

Personally it doesn’t work for me and so 10 years ago or so I created my own suite of PPTs to cover PPL training, IRR training, tail wheel etc and pre-test briefs. They work well for me although I do agree that much of the value lies in writing them (and reviewing/updating them from time to time). I still often use a white-board to illustrate points with some on the job sketches, but I try to avoid the talk-and-write style although it clearly works for some others.

For the cost of a few pennies I also made some stick-on magnetic shapes by which to illustrate on a white-board things like AoA, landing attitudes, effect of flap on the shape of a wing, etc which I find easier to use than my ropey drawings.
QSD, T67M liked this
By WelshRichy
I've invested in a whiteboard and am using it to mainly practice writing on it whilst simultaneously talking in a coherent manner, which being male is easier said than done or so my wife tells me. I also find concepts sink into my grey matter a little easier if I talk out loud and sketch on the whiteboard which is helping in looking at the questions in Standards Document 10.

Anyway I digress... my question to instructors out there is how do you stop end up writing on a slant whilst avoiding having to have a spirit level with you at all times? I start off nice and neat whilst maintaining the level and I think I'm maintaining levelness as I progress but when I step back to have a look my future students will probably need to have a chair placed at an angle. At this rate I would never make a school teacher. :lol:

And to add to this topic the FI manual from On Track is, as far as I can tell, brilliant.
By Genghis the Engineer
To write level, just mentally line up with the top and bottom edge of the boards, and practice (a few years as a university lecturer was my practice).

I'm reminded for some reason of an occasion a few years ago when I got hired to teach a "basics of flight testing" course for EASA to an engineer from an aircraft manufacturer, and we did it using the local flying school I was instructing at part time at the time.

I'm a Chartered Engineer, so was he, so I thought nothing of describing what we were testing in the brief with a few partial differential equations on the briefing room whiteboard. Being a lazy sod, I didn't clean the board off after me.

I couple of weeks later I popped into the school and was amused to see that the equations were still up on the board. The CFI explained that whilst nobody had a clue what they meant, they were so beautiful, they'd left them up and worked around them.

G
David Wood, WelshRichy, townleyc and 2 others liked this
By David Wood
WelshRichy wrote:I start off nice and neat

I don't even get that far with my white-boarding. My handwriting is famously illegible (even to me :lol: ); my spelling largely random and often somewhat individual; and my diagrams are so child-like as to be embarrasing. It's PPT for me every time!
WelshRichy liked this