Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Peter Kelly
I'm looking to write a hangar rental agreement to use for a small hangar with four aeroplanes on a modest grass airstrip. Space rented monthly from the farmer who owns the hangar (old grain-store) and airstrip.

Does anyone have an existing agreement I can have sight of as the starting point for what we need here.

Thanks

P
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Twenty years ago I’d have said you should just go on gut feeling and trust, but as you have kind of identified, things have changed these days.

I’ve never seen a dedicated hangar agreement, but I reckon you could easily make one up with the skeleton of an AST template, bolstered up with your pet hates about who moves what aircraft, times in and out, family members visiting, and other hangar rules etc.
avtur3 liked this
By Peter Kelly
As noted by Mr Farmer above, up to now it’s all been a bit informal. Our farmer (not to be confused with Mr Farmer) is now looking to rent more hangar spaces and wants to have some kind of documentary agreement.

The situation is that we pay £x per month for a hangar space. By custom and practice this gives us unlimited access to a slightly rough and undulating grass airstrip. When the grass gets too long and we start to grumble, our farmer’s old mum organises a lady with a big tractor and an even bigger topper to come and cut it. We also enjoy a shared telephone and internet connection together with what we call the tea-rooms (toilet, sink and kettle).

This delightful informal idilic country hideaway has now grown into such a grand and profitable operation that it is deemed to require the generation of paperwork. Hence my question. :lol:
By oldbiggincfi
Flintstone wrote:It used to be so much better when our airfield rent was paid at Christmas in the form of a brown paper envelope and a couple of bottles. :roll:

"Good timing"

The tax man Knows everyone completes the return on Christmas Day so the correct amount of tax is paid before the end of January . :santa:
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Our farmer landlord also uses the revenue to pay for some form of insurance - I'm guessing for the benefit of 3rd parties - I don't think it covers us or our tents.
By David Roberts
I'm not a lawyer but have dealt with hangar occupation agreements. Rental agreement? That usually means a lease ("pay rent"). Licence to occupy would trigger a licence fee with no (or lesser) security of tenure or right to renew, and questions of who is responsible for what (insurance, repairs, other outgoings etc etc). Seems a bit more important dependant on whether you are the owner or occupier, than operational nitty gritty questions.
By Peter Kelly
David Roberts wrote:I'm not a lawyer but have dealt with hangar occupation agreements. Rental agreement? That usually means a lease ("pay rent"). Licence to occupy would trigger a licence fee with no (or lesser) security of tenure or right to renew, and questions of who is responsible for what (insurance, repairs, other outgoings etc etc). Seems a bit more important dependant on whether you are the owner or occupier, than operational nitty gritty questions.

David. You are quite correct. It's worded as a Licence agreement and specifically states that it does not constitute a Tenancy Agreement under the prevailing Landlord and Tennant Act.

The licence agreement then has a few clauses as to who is responsible for what.
By Rob P
Landlord and Tennant Act.

A variety duo to do with Al Murray and Dr Who?

Rob P
cockney steve liked this