Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The CAA has issued the following invitation:
The webinar for the General Aviation sector will take place on 26 November 2020, 13:00 -14:00 where we will cover:
An outline of the new regulatory landscape from 1 January 2021 and what this means for General Aviation;
The key changes affecting annex 1 aircraft and Part 21 licensing forms, and what actions organisations should be thinking about in preparation for the end of the transition period; and
Answers to your key questions on airworthiness, licensing and pilot training – the sectors of General Aviation that would require the most change.
You can register here to confirm your place and the Zoom link to the webinar will be emailed to those with a confirmed place. Given the imminence of the end of the transition period, we anticipate a significant number of participants at each session, which will also be recorded.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GvX96_2bSIG9_KJ8wm7m7Q
I've registered, and I'd like to submit a question, but I thought I'd see if anyone here can phrase it in CAA language appropriately before I do so.

The situation is this.

I own a G registered Bolkow Junior 208c which is in the EASA CS-23E category, but on a LAA administered Permit to fly. Some other similar aircraft are on Certificates of airworthiness.

What will the permit status be after EU exit? Will it for example be a UK permit to fly? Will I be obliged to attempt to get a Certificate of Airworthiness for it (which would be practically impossible).

Suggestions for wording gratefully accepted.

(I should say I asked the LAA who seemed optimistic all would be well, but I would like to know what the CAA say).

A supplementary question could be about what will be the minimum medical standards for flying it, but I am sure other people will be asking that, so I might just leave that to others.
Pete L wrote:My question will be on the airworthiness arrangements for the 100 or so EASA Permanent Permit to Fly aircraft - what happens to the CAA permit process and will the CAA's airworthiness arrangements be acceptable to EASA?

I'm probably just showing my ignorance here, but are these aircraft different to my Bolkow Junior on a permit, or is mine one of these 100 (see above)?
There are around 100 or so aircraft which were meant to get an EASA Restricted Type Certificate - most of them I believe are Sportcruisers. It was retrospectively decided that they were too old compared to the finally certified aircraft and the fudge found was an EASA Form 18b - Permanent Permit to Fly. The CAA issue an annual permit against that, as does the LBA in Germany. Cost and time not that much different to Permit or C of A as long as you remember to ask the CAA at least two months before you need it.

Every time some new rule comes out, it's not obvious this group of aircraft have fairly had risk-based regulation applied to them or even that they were considered. They are factory aircraft in all but name but the CAA currently chooses an unnecessarily complex approach.

There are other reasons to issue EASA Permits to Fly but I don't know if the Bolkow uses that.
Dodo liked this
@dodo sounds ok the way you put it here. Should you not eventually get a move to national permit, your aircraft should have a higher resale value if national licences/ratings were allowed to fly the full range of aircraft that they could fly when we left the EU, as I am sure you know, it currently needs an fcl licence. So if nothing changes, the answer to the medical question is that whilst an easa ppl or lapl is required to fly it, under the latest exemptions, the "minimum" medical needed would be a PMD, that would be ok to the end of March, after which, a lapl medical or class 1 or 2 would be needed.
Dodo liked this