Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We have in both aeroplanes at the club a TRT800 - one sending out SIL = 0 with Garmin Aera 500 as GPS source.

Has someone got the TRT/TN combo working; understand that the common issue is the difference in baud rates between what TN sends and TRT can accept.

Associated question - is there a slide in alternative for the TRT800 if the combo does not work, and if so does any transponder come with native ADSB-out?
My 2008 TRT800 did ADS-B Out with an AERA 500as GPS source, but it did not push out the most important messages for EC, Airborne Position and Airborne Speed. It did pass the LAA installation test with PAW, but that is carried out with the aircraft stationary. I specifically asked Funke if it could be upgraded to work with a TN72 and was told it could not. Only those manufactured from 2011 can be upgraded. You will notice from the note below that even early TRT800A and TRT800H need upgrading to work properly.

https://i.imgur.com/3AwpOqd.png
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
That does beg the question(s), why are direction and velocity so important. Shirley as ADSB receivers we are interested in position and by receiving 2 or more GPS positions, direction may be deduced and displayed on our Skydemon, RunwayHD screens.

did not push out the most important messages for EC, Airborne Position

The TRT 800A and H , does send GPS position when airborne even at Mod 11 and SW v4.8 or later, I have watched the data stream. But only with SIL = 0.
Marvin wrote:A friend of mine has just agreed an attractive update/exchange to the latest version of the Funke TRT 800H I believe which has at the ability to accept better GP data feed speeds and compliance with the ES standard than previous models.

Might be worth exploring with Funke Direct.

They offered to take my old one off my hands and for a mere £1800 sell me a new one !!!. (only cost me £1750 when new).

So I think I'll stick with it and just use a Skyecho to get SIL=1

Be interested in the deal they offered your friend
patowalker wrote:My 2008 TRT800 did ADS-B Out with an AERA 500as GPS source, but it did not push out the most important messages for EC, Airborne Position and Airborne Speed. It did pass the LAA installation test with PAW, but that is carried out with the aircraft stationary. I specifically asked Funke if it could be upgraded to work with a TN72 and was told it could not. Only those manufactured from 2011 can be upgraded. You will notice from the note below that even early TRT800A and TRT800H need upgrading to work properly.

https://i.imgur.com/3AwpOqd.png

Thank you - ours works also with an Aera 500 but we want SIL = 1.

We have 2 in our club aeroplanes.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flying_john wrote:That does beg the question(s), why are direction and velocity so important. Shirley as ADSB receivers we are interested in position and by receiving 2 or more GPS positions, direction may be deduced and displayed on our Skydemon, RunwayHD screens.

did not push out the most important messages for EC, Airborne Position

The TRT 800A and H , does send GPS position when airborne even at Mod 11 and SW v4.8 or later, I have watched the data stream. But only with SIL = 0.

If the ADS-B receiver said: "There is that damn TRT800 not sending me Airborne Position and Airborne Velocity messages again. I'll have to do a quick calculation to work out where it is, so I can tell the boss." TRT800 owners would not need to spend circa £350 on an upgrade. :D

The only TRT800A and H sending out the correct data are those manufactured after the software update mentioned in Funke's note and those which have been sent back to the factory for mondification.
Therefore, with the next software version the transponders TRT800H/A will also sent out "Airborne Velocity" messages with data from a NMEA source.
Flying_john wrote:
Marvin wrote:A friend of mine has just agreed an attractive update/exchange to the latest version of the Funke TRT 800H I believe which has at the ability to accept better GP data feed speeds and compliance with the ES standard than previous models.

They offered to take my old one off my hands and for a mere £1800 sell me a new one !!!. (only cost me £1750 when new).

PM sent.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Thank you - ours works also with an Aera 500 but we want SIL = 1.

We have 2 in our club aeroplanes.

I am curious. Did you have those transponders upgraded? Mine did ADS-B Out and was visible as such on PAW and FR24, but the Airborne Velocity messages was lacking, so the reported speed was all over the place. This meant that an EC device could not accurately calculate where the aircraft was going to be at any time in the future. The Airborne Position also lacked integrity. I don't know what the issue is, but there is a letter from Funke online somewhere in which they claimed the transponder met ADS-B standards when it was manufactured, but that those standards were subsequently changed.
Are you sure your set up is doing ADS-B correctly?
Sorry to ask, but don't want you to be disappointed by finding that after getting the TN you still need the expensive upgrade.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Flying_john wrote:

I am Pretty certain you will have to disable the ADS-B out on your Funke if emitting from a CAP1391, my understanding is that it is not allowed to emit both DF17(transponder) and DF18(CAP1391) from the same airframe.
Thx
Lee