Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rf3flyer
A sad business, as these things always are, and not too far from me.

This morning I heard a rumour, and I repeat, a rumour, that a bang was heard and a witness saw the 'propeller' coming down on its own. If that turns out to be true it sounds very much that the rotor detached in flight.
rf3flyer wrote:A sad business, as these things always are, and not too far from me.

This morning I heard a rumour, and I repeat, a rumour, that a bang was heard and a witness saw the 'propeller' coming down on its own. If that turns out to be true it sounds very much that the rotor detached in flight.

Why do you think that someone having seen a propeller means the rotor has come off? Maybe it was the propellor in the rumour.
By Rob P
I guess because losing a propeller would seem to we fixed wing types less likely to result in a plummet than losing the rotor?

Rob P
Rob P wrote:I guess because losing a propeller would seem to we fixed wing types less likely to result in a plummet than losing the rotor?

Rob P

Said Rob P on behalf of rf3flyer.
So you discount the rumoured witness's observation as uneducated and assume they must have been wrong because you know better.
PeteSpencer liked this
Boxkite wrote:
Rob P wrote:I guess because losing a propeller would seem to we fixed wing types less likely to result in a plummet than losing the rotor?

Rob P

Said Rob P on behalf of rf3flyer.
So you discount the rumoured witness's observation as uneducated and assume they must have been wrong because you know better.

it's probably an assumption based on how inaccurate the general public and certain the media are on these subjects.

But rather than letting this turn into another disrespectful squabble, how about waiting until some more reliable evidence is presented.
Smaragd, JAFO, JodelDavo and 6 others liked this
Boxkite wrote:Why do you think that someone having seen a propeller means the rotor has come off? Maybe it was the propellor in the rumour.

Why? Because to a lay person I imagine a furiously whirling thing coming off a flying machine would look very like a propeller and would be fairly visible being comparatively large whereas a propeller might not.

It's now more than a rumour though I suppose it might still be inaccurate. From the lead article of The Press and Journal newspaper the witness ...was walking her dog near the spot when she saw the gyrocopter's propeller fly off as it plunged out of the sky... I'll leave you to make of that what you will.
Rob P liked this