Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Charliesixtysix#
My first post on Flyer, it's just a shame it isn't an upbeat one. Anyway, I had a look at your link and found a statement from Martyn Pask, Managing Director for Redrow Homes East Midlands:

"Life in lockdown has reinforced what homebuyers want and need from a new home, and Newton Garden Village really does have it all. With vast amounts of green, open space, the development will offer excellent transport links across the country, while also offering a wonderful community right on your doorstep.”

Now call me cynical, but either he knows something and we're in for a lifetime of lockdowns, or he is just trying to cleverly corner the market for the 'perpetually petrified' public? Nice bit of alliteration there if I say so myself - purely accidental :)

Regarding the threat to Gamston, yes I've flown in a few times and also to Wellesbourne and many others all now suffering closure or closed and dug up. My 40 year old logbook started to look like an obituary list of dead airfields to UK GA , but I do fear for the future of general aviation as fewer opportunities are likely in the next 10 years or so. My wife told me to stop moaning about it and ".. go and get us a nice boat with a sun deck..." judging by the prices of nice boats with said deck, that'll be a trip in the IOW ferry both ways then!

R&T
I've yet to see a builder who actually delivers on "what they know the public wants". I still see many bedrooms without space for wardrobes, garages that you can't fit a family sized car into and upper floors with ridiculous sloping ceilings that restrict the useful space. And don't get me onto showers that reasonable sized adults struggle to use comfortably and builtin wardrobes that wouldn't hold the clothing of a penniless student. That's why storage units are a boom business. Is a trip to "the unit" to get something you need an essential journey?
nallen, Hawkwind, Bobcro and 4 others liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The small childrens' play parks, that are often in development plans, soon become applications for an additional block of housing as soon as soon as the first set of housing is bought. If additional amenities aren't built first, they don't happen.
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Would have thought the council planners would tear up the rule book due to covid and introduce more social distancing with any new housing developments. i.e. start afresh miles from anywhere else.

As flyers we have seen there is so much more space in the country to start new towns.

Let's hope not! There's already enough whiney Townies living in the countryside as it is, who feel the need to complain about everything - Tractors, animals, slurry, combine harvesters, shooting...
cockney steve, Nick liked this
Flyingfemme wrote:I've yet to see a builder who actually delivers on "what they know the public wants". I still see many bedrooms without space for wardrobes, garages that you can't fit a family sized car into and upper floors with ridiculous sloping ceilings that restrict the useful space. And don't get me onto showers that reasonable sized adults struggle to use comfortably and builtin wardrobes that wouldn't hold the clothing of a penniless student. That's why storage units are a boom business. Is a trip to "the unit" to get something you need an essential journey?

Most modern estates are absolutely dreadful. Aside from the design issues with the houses themselves, like the lack of storage and slopey ceilings, the buildings are ridiculously crammed in. There's a new estate going up not too many miles away, each house has a single garage in the back garden, but the houses are so close together that each pair shares a driveway to reach their garage, which is sort of half tucked in behind the house.
Years ago the wife and I looked at a house on a new development. Lovely house, dreadful development. All that could be seen from the patio doors was a patch of soggy grass and plain brick wall on both sides and to the rear of the "garden". The rear brick wall was actually the side wall of the garage for that house (no door into from the garden of course!) which was accessed from a different street. That was also where you were expected to store the bins. What a joke.
Every time I drive into the vilage where we live with lots of open space I smile. We bought a very tired old place and have done it up to make something nice.

It's a bit sad that yet another airfield is going to be lost for yet another development of unimaginative, crammed in breeding boxes, but that's life. Shall make use of Tollerton in the interim. I understand there's a new cafe there and the creche atmosphere has gone.
ScottC wrote:
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Would have thought the council planners would tear up the rule book due to covid and introduce more social distancing with any new housing developments. i.e. start afresh miles from anywhere else.

As flyers we have seen there is so much more space in the country to start new towns.

Let's hope not! There's already enough whiney Townies living in the countryside as it is, who feel the need to complain about everything - Tractors, animals, slurry, combine harvesters, shooting...

Would you still be saying that when the day comes that you have to drive 100 miles from home to find a public GA airfield that has not been converted to a garden village?