Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ConcordeBA
After a fair bit of planning to navigate to Oxford for lunch, the weather deteriorated meaning we wouldn't get to fly till later that evening. We flew to Lydd, flew an ILS then flew back to Stapleford via Southend to get some more practice in with the new avionics. A quality flight in the summer's heat. Don't forget to subscribe and click on the notifications bell!

By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I notice that this it is yet another VFR outing in which you fly instrument approaches in VMC but are otherwise off for a VFR bimble. Picking up on what others have said earlier, flying in IMC (which is not in short supply) is very different, and if you are able, a much more useful experience. Even putting foggles on and flying with a suitable observer would give you more than just a VFR outing.
David Wood, AlanC, GrahamB and 1 others liked this
By Longfinal
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well done for making some entertaining videos.

You do seem to have an awful lot of kit stuck to the canopy transparency, particularly the large iPad, which can only obstruct your lookout. Even if you are practising your IFR, your safety pilot should be looking out at all times and you should avoid obstructing the view.
ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
2Donkeys wrote:I notice that this it is yet another VFR outing in which you fly instrument approaches in VMC but are otherwise off for a VFR bimble. Picking up on what others have said earlier, flying in IMC (which is not in short supply) is very different, and if you are able, a much more useful experience. Even putting foggles on and flying with a suitable observer would give you more than just a VFR outing.

As I've already echoed elsewhere to this. It was one of my first few flights with the new avionics and felt like it was best to get some experience in before throwing myself into IMC. Luckily August was all mostly VMC, however, I have flown in some interesting weather lately and using that instrument rating (restricted).

Now to keep current during the winter before finally doing the practical IR side of things. Thanks for watching :thumleft:

Longfinal wrote:Well done for making some entertaining videos.

You do seem to have an awful lot of kit stuck to the canopy transparency, particularly the large iPad, which can only obstruct your lookout. Even if you are practising your IFR, your safety pilot should be looking out at all times and you should avoid obstructing the view.

Thanks for watching the video. I hope to give a bit more value and try and encourage as many people as I can to aspire to become a pilot in the future.

I've re-positioned the iPad to a location that's easier for me to view. I have never had any issues with it obstructing the view because of the size of the canopy, nor any issues with the rest of the kit, don't even realise it's there to be fair with you. I will be changing the mount slightly as the one I have is what BA uses in most of there fleet. The newer iPads require less bulk than they did 5 years ago.

By ConcordeBA
A little trip I did back in August, flying through some traditional British Summer weather with an ILS thrown in for good measure. Combination of manual flying and autopilot to ensure I was on top of the situation at all times. Inspired a buddying aviator to do his ATPL's and is starting with CAE Oxford next year having passed the tests a month or so after this flight.

In terms of my progress for the CB-IR. I am to complete the exams hopefully soon, then work can start on the practical side of the IR once Winter has passed (NON-FIKI aircraft) and gain that dream rating of mine.

I will be renewing the IMCR soon, so plenty of IAPs coming up.....

In other news, the ATC audio static issue has been fixed and you’ll hear digital quality soon!
By defcribed
Intended purely as a constructive comment - you might want to think a bit about the content of your initial radio calls. Most of them seem to be a bit of a stream of consciousness rather than any planned delivery of information, and controllers seem to have to keep asking you questions to elucidate the important bits.

Who you are, what you are, where you are, what you want...

As an example, when Cardiff Radar asked you to pass your message there was a bit of a random ramble followed by a few questions. If you'd just replied "G-ZANY, DA40 north east of Bristol at 3,000 feet, inbound for the ILS with X-ray QNH 10XX" then that would have been pretty much it.
By ConcordeBA
defcribed wrote:Intended purely as a constructive comment - you might want to think a bit about the content of your initial radio calls. Most of them seem to be a bit of a stream of consciousness rather than any planned delivery of information, and controllers seem to have to keep asking you questions to elucidate the important bits.

Who you are, what you are, where you are, what you want...

As an example, when Cardiff Radar asked you to pass your message there was a bit of a random ramble followed by a few questions. If you'd just replied "G-ZANY, DA40 north east of Bristol at 3,000 feet, inbound for the ILS with X-ray QNH 10XX" then that would have been pretty much it.

100% agree my RT isn't my strongest point. It's an area to improve on and fully taken as a constructive comment. Personally, I wish in GA I could use the bog-standard IFR inbound phraseology that's used in the TMA.

Such as "Gatwick Director, EZY25KL, towards TIMBA, descending FL90, A320, information Juliette. Request RNAV 26L"

But how many radio units would like my coming on the frequency with that?
By defcribed
Surely you can see that what you've written and what I've written are largely the same radio call, just with different example content?
By ConcordeBA
Many factors delayed me from getting the theoretical knowledge in the bag, but happy to say after many stressful hours of studying I've gone and passed the lot.

I'll be making a plan to get the full IR by Spring 2021, depending on how the flight training goes. :thumleft:
PeteSpencer, MachFlyer liked this
By DavidC
Well done on the exams. Have you decided where you intend to complete your CB-IR training and in what aircraft? What are your personal training plan and objectives to achieve prior to the formal ATO element?

I’m asking partly to understand what you might be considering to reduce the amount of (more expensive) flight time spent at the ATO. The IMC rating should help.
Gus93, ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
DavidC wrote:Well done on the exams. Have you decided where you intend to complete your CB-IR training and in what aircraft? What are your personal training plan and objectives to achieve prior to the formal ATO element?

I’m asking partly to understand what you might be considering to reduce the amount of (more expensive) flight time spent at the ATO. The IMC rating should help.

It's going to be on the current aircraft I fly at Stapleford and with Stapleford Flight Centre as the ATO.

I am going to do a fair bit of groundwork as I've got a lot of free time outside work at the moment. I think that lies the key and learn the new avionics inside out as that'll help me. I think preparation and reading every day will help.

jacekowski wrote:What was your experience like with time allowed for the exams?
I did all of mine in less than half the time allowed, except flight planning where i felt like there was not enough time.

The exams aren't just ATPL lite. They can catch you out, anyone that says they are easy is either very intelligent or just got very lucky in the exams. I did JAR PPL exams and the usual CAA catch you out wording is in there. But yeah I did okay on the other exams, the last two don't give you much time. Radio nav & Flight Planning.
easy307 liked this
By ConcordeBA
Taking advantage of the £30 for 30 minutes of approaches offer at Southampton back in early September and whilst I originally wanted to try out the RNP (LPV RWY 02) as the aircraft had been fitted out with the technology and approvals for this type of approach, we managed to complete two ILS approaches in an attempt to get me back up to speed. I also managed to give a pleasant surprise to one of my passengers with a surprise destination for lunch, worked a treat and he loved GA.

Whilst this wasn’t my best-flown approaches to date, it was nice to get some more experience in as I look to improve my flying. It was nice to visit the Isle of Wight again, and Bembridge after many years of visiting Sandown. Nothing much was open sadly and finding food was of greater difficulty than we hoped, but we did find something to allow a safe flight home with full tanks.

Having now completed the ATO theory stage of the CBIR and only the PBN examination to complete, my interim focus shifts to now getting the huge backlog of 9 videos out with lots of IMC action and many pointers for self-debrief to make me a better pilot before embarking on the Pre-ATO phase of the IR. I am deeply excited about the flying phase and perfecting my flying to the required standards and far above.

I'll also be writing up about my theory and some pointers for anyone that's learning on my journey to the full IR. There’s a good schedule coming up, so don’t forget to subscribe and hit the notifications bell. :thumleft:
By ConcordeBA
IFR flight to Exeter in September through an Occluded front; with an extremely turbulent departure from Stapleford and some hard IMC. Was the Continuous Descent Approach a Fluke?

And finally, the issues with the ATC audio quality are now a thing of the past, with a new improved set up to record that all-important in-flight chatter. If anyone wants help with that, I am happy to discuss it.

By SteveC
ConcordeBA wrote:IFR flight to Exeter in September through an Occluded front; with an extremely turbulent departure from Stapleford and some hard IMC. Was the Continuous Descent Approach a Fluke?

And finally, the issues with the ATC audio quality are now a thing of the past, with a new improved set up to record that all-important in-flight chatter. If anyone wants help with that, I am happy to discuss it.

My question has to be, but why?