Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
mikehallam wrote:Thanks Shoestring.

Even so ADSB In/OUT is my principal aim. However if SE2 does see FLARM, what stops it telling my Android mobile anyway ?

As I understand it, and I am sure others could explain better than me, Flarm is decoded by either EasyVfr or Skydemon within their App. So if you don't pay the subscription you won't be switched on (activated) by them to receive Flarm.

Even so ADSB In/OUT is my principal aim. However if SE2 does see FLARM, what stops it telling my Android mobile anyway ?

Just noticed that you are proposing to use SE2 with EasyVfr Basic version and not the subscription version of EasyVfr.
I don't know the answer to this but are you sure you can receive traffic at all on EasyVfr Basic?...I think you need to check and make sure!
Shoestring Flyer wrote:

Just noticed that you are proposing to use SE2 with EasyVfr Basic version and not the subscription version of EasyVfr.
I don't know the answer to this but are you sure you can receive traffic at all on EasyVfr Basic?...I think you need to check and make sure!

I have tried this and can confirm it works - my SE2 was on the ground (near Stroud, Glocs) and I could see Bristol traffic on my EasyVFR Basic on the phone.
gaznav liked this
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The CAA could not complete my registration on their customer portal, because my driving licence 'has expired'. It did not occur to them to check if the DVLA had extended the validity of driving licences.
Just as a FYI I wandered up the gliding club and spoke to a few people today. There is a lot of interest in this subject.

Current polling round indicates that the 10% of our cross-country fleet which is transponder equipped are all looking at getting them ADSB enabled.

Of the rest about 15-20% of the owners who fly cross country have already ordered SE2's or are trying to do so, while another 15-20% are thinking about it, so my guess is that by next spring we will be 30% to 50% ADSB-out equipped as far as cross-country flying goes. There is some delay/prevarication because of the Brize/Oxford changes which may reluctantly force some into (expensive) transponder installations.

About 20% of the XC pilots have PowerFlarm with ADSB-in already, and there is also quite a bit of interest in Rosetta-FX as a way of receiving ADSB without an expensive Flarm upgrade - we're all waiting for more details!

What we do about club/training gliders is being considered by the committee.

(Of course all of the gliders on site, private and club , already have Classic Flarm or Power Flarm, apart from a couple of vintage types)

So if you have a PAW or an SE2/SD combo you should see every glider we have on site one way or another, (bar about 3 vintage gliders that mainly just do circuits).

PS: Despite this I'd respectfully suggest not routing within 1nm of a glider field at their circuit height, this is not a great plan as a couple of Airprox's near Lasham recently demonstrated! :roll:

PPS we have around 50 gliders on site, of which 30 or so regularly fly cross-country.
gaznav, Nick, rdfb liked this
By Buzz53
How splendid to have proper industry techie people joining in!

Trig_Andy: will Trig be entering the CAP1391 market? Are you planning any ADSB-IN products at all? If not why not, if I may be so bold? I’m sure I am not alone in wanting to support a local product and, as I have said some time ago, SE2 just doesn’t have the right feature set for me anyway.

Uavionix_Paul: you have helpfully pointed out that modern ADSB receivers can demodulate overlapping transmissions. For clarity in the current discussion, can you confirm the SkyEcho2 actually does this?

One more thing I'm curious about, (and it doesn’t just apply to your product of course ) is what happens in areas of very high traffic density which it seems may be common in the future? If SkyEcho2 is decoding a few hundred targets, does it forward all of those as they are received to the EFB or are there rate or capacity issues at this stage? The SE2 doesn't seem to have any facility to discriminate on range or altitude.

(With apologies to those who lack interest in techie stuff, maybe we should have a separate thread)?
Alan
By TheFarmer
I’m sorry, but I need to say this.

You’re twice as likely to sire conjoined twins and winning a Gold Olympic medal as you are having a mid-air. That’s fact.

The whole EC ‘thing’, like lots of other things (certainly the ones in the media at the moment) has got a little bit out of hand, and is making people ‘fear’ not having it. They’ve flown perfectly safely for decades without it, and nothing has changed really in the last two years to make aircraft suddenly start bumping into each other.

Then, couple this chance (oh, did I say it’s 217 times more likely that you’ll lose a limb next year in a chainsaw accident) with the various hardware options out there that are clearly (from this thread) rather unreliable and only show about two out of five chainsaws heading your way, and the whole thing becomes a bit more clear.

I’m sorry, but the fear that’s been created is completely disproportionate to the risk, and like good old UK citizen-sheep, many people are sucking it up.

I shall continue to fly 250 hours per annum without an unreliable gadget, and I’ll be keen to hear from anyone out there who things that I’m irresponsible. I’ll happily let you hold my chainsaw while I get my conjoined twins up onto the Olympic podium
Crash one, Shoestring Flyer, rf3flyer and 2 others liked this
By Dave W
TheFarmer wrote:You’re twice as likely to sire conjoined twins and winning a Gold Olympic medal as you are having a mid-air.

Oh, I dunno. All that's bound to degrade your lookout.
TheFarmer, Rob P, neilmurg and 1 others liked this
TheFarmer wrote:I’m sorry, but I need to say this.
They’ve flown perfectly safely for decades without it, <EC>

Say that to the families that have lost loved ones due to a MAC.

For "£250 for SE or less for a PAW, there is now no reasonable excuse to be in "stealth mode" as you put it :roll:
ls8pilot liked this
By TheFarmer
@Straight Level

Well, I’m sorry, but with more and more people now flying around with their heads in their iPads seeing about 20% of the chainsaws that are coming at them, I kind of feel that there will be many more people who’ll be having to justify that to families too when they miss one.

You might well be a ‘head in your lap’ kind of chap who loves gadgetry (even if it is rather sketchy in reliability), but I reckon I’m probably safer than you by keeping my eyes out rather then relying on seeing a small proportion of what’s out where while I stare at a screen just before my EC device disconnects from it randomly.