Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Yeah I guess many ways to cook a spud :)

I’m hoping to start some night rating lessons in a couple weeks and no doubt even checks to memorize.
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
At the risk of jinxing it, the weather is looking very acceptable for my medium range cross-country practice tomorrow.....

What can I attach my tablet to in lieu of a proper clamp?!

~ Scott
By Nero
I thought I almost had jinxed it! Bit of a dodgy cloud base today.

But I managed to get my lesson in after a 4 hour delay and flew a solo nav of 91nm along the South Coast

Left to do:
- land at Southend as practice for QXC
- practice some stalls and general handling as it's been nearly a year
- complete the QXC
- pass the FRTOL
- checkride
- pop the champagne

ImageImage

~ Scott
Miscellaneous, cjrpaterson, T6Harvard and 3 others liked this
By Nero
Wicksay wrote:That's amazing progress Scott. Looks like you flew over / headcorn and close to LGW airspace.

Fingers crossed I get some flying in today.
I was 5 miles south of Headcorn and 6.5 nm east/South-East of the Gatwick space, so all good. I did fly right over Deanland though, but I'm under the impression that's okay at 2200ft?

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Lovely pic Nero!
When I was bemoaning my lack of a sense of direction, I was told by a very experienced pilot that it is a good idea to start training by the sea, so you can find your way home :D

My next lesson is 27th Oct. Too long between them!!
By Nero
T6Harvard wrote:Lovely pic Nero!
When I was bemoaning my lack of a sense of direction, I was told by a very experienced pilot that it is a good idea to start training by the sea, so you can find your way home :D

My next lesson is 27th Oct. Too long between them!!
It's true! I had to use the headings to start with but then just pointed towards the coast and, once there, only had to make sure I followed the coast the right way back to Lydd

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
T6Harvard wrote:When I was bemoaning my lack of a sense of direction, I was told by a very experienced pilot that it is a good idea to start training by the sea, so you can find your way home :D

I've always said that a cross country leg between Lydd and Shoreham is cheating somewhat!
T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
T6Harvard wrote:Lovely pic Nero!

Sound advice: I learnt in the early 90s at the now defunct Ipswich airport which was about 10 miles up the Orwell estuary from Felixstowe/Harwich and right at the NE end of the A14 Orwell Bridge.

We were told if ever lost in our E Anglian training area between Ipswich and Norwich or if the weather started to get dodgy , to fly due East to the coast then turn south and follow the coast to Felixstowe, then follow the estuary to the Bridge. Was used by many a lost stude..... :wink:
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
That's the good thing about the south east too. You've got the entire south coast or the North coast of Kent.

On most normal days I can see the south coast shortly after taking off from Biggin

Oh, and in other news, I got my FRTOL this evening

~ Scott
T6Harvard, JAFO, cjrpaterson and 1 others liked this