Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Shoestring Flyer
defcribed wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:In my opinion a Wifi Hotspot is not stable enough for signal transmission in an aircraft. Wifi problems abound whoever you talk to whichever EC device you have.
You need something that can be hardwired sending a signal by RS232 to your display.

Problem is, if we're going to display our EC information with phones and tablets then we're really limited to WiFi or Bluetooth - neither of which offer especially stable or reliable connections.

You could push something in via the USB-C port, but USB-C connectors are not renowned for staying in place and wires everywhere is generally undesirable.

Portable solutions really have to find a way of making WiFi or Bluetooth do it reliably.

There are RS232 options with PAW to a glass display Garmin/Dynon etc. or alternatively if you don't have glass to the dedicated Aircrew traffic display unit.

The PowerFlarm Core unit is hardwire only RS232 anyway to either a dedicated V3+ display and /or Garmin /Dynon glass display.
exfirepro liked this
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
defcribed wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:I have to admit, having read this here, and also spoken with someone today who’s getting these problems regularly, my finger is hovering on the REFUND button! :?

Has yours arrived yet?

Nope. Have just been flying, and was hoping to give it a test
By Crash one
TheFarmer wrote:
defcribed wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:I have to admit, having read this here, and also spoken with someone today who’s getting these problems regularly, my finger is hovering on the REFUND button! :?

Has yours arrived yet?

Nope. Have just been flying, and was hoping to give it a test

I am reliably informed by our strip owner that farmers are dirt poor and survive on a crust of bread and bowl of gruel, so Farmer, I feel your pain.
Swap it out for a Paw Rosetta while you have the chance. :D
Nick liked this
By ls8pilot

I wouldn't be too concerned... Rule of thumb for a forum is multiply number of people posting problems by 5 and the number saying it works ok by 500 and you have a more accurate picture!

Get it, set it up, try it....
gaznav, Cessna571, rikur_ liked this
By gaznav
The early unit that I had, had a few problems. That was pre-production. The production version that I ended up with, and the one that I use now, has been fine. I have uploaded the latest wifi and unit firmware and in half a dozen 45min to 1hr 45min flights the unit has been absolutely solid with the wifi connection.

I know @MattL uses his in various aircraft types as an Examiner and he doesn’t have significant issues either.

It’s either this particular SkyEcho that has an issue, or one of the devices is causing wifi instability (or something else is creating localised noise on the wifi frequency causing drop outs). If you know someone else, then maybe try theirs?

Finally, I found uAvionix’s customer service to be excellent. So if you have no joy with the re-seller, then drop the company an email to see if they can assist. That worked for me :thumright:
By MattL
Mine works fine in all sorts of aircraft with no drop outs and our three club ones have had no issues of this type.

The only issue I have seen is that if you are in range of clubhouse Wi-fi (or perhaps a phone you have previously tethered to) that is a often used network, the the ipad can dump the SkyEcho Wi-fi connection and connect to the club Wi-fi. This is a ipad thing and not SkyEcho. This happened to me on Wednesday at a school as I taxied out and it picked up the club Wi-fi, I just had to reselect the SkyEcho as the Wi-fi network. Some skilled people on here may be able to explain that better than I can!
Miscellaneous, gaznav liked this
By MattL
Ps generic comment, but I am increasingly advising people to consider keeping their flying tablet as a sanitised EFB. I’ve seen a number of issues where other apps / updates etc have messed things up.
gaznav liked this
By Rob L
Miscellaneous wrote:@Rob L I'm taking @MattL's meaning to be an iPad reserved for the purpose of aviation and, therefore, void of non aviation applications.

But I have 37 aviation applications therein, including these hallowed halls :?
By ls8pilot
MattL wrote:Mine works fine in all sorts of aircraft with no drop outs and our three club ones have had no issues of this type.

The only issue I have seen is that if you are in range of clubhouse Wi-fi (or perhaps a phone you have previously tethered to) that is a often used network, the the ipad can dump the SkyEcho Wi-fi connection and connect to the club Wi-fi. This is a ipad thing and not SkyEcho. This happened to me on Wednesday at a school as I taxied out and it picked up the club Wi-fi, I just had to reselect the SkyEcho as the Wi-fi network. Some skilled people on here may be able to explain that better than I can!

Could be because the iPad realises the Wi-Fi on the SE has no internet connection, so it will try other Wi-Fi if available. As you say it's an iPad issue not SE. On my phone I always put it in flight mode, not familiar with ipads.... One tip might be to ensure your phone is off or in flight mode in the cockpit?
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Heavily snipped.

The PowerFlarm Core unit is hardwire only RS232 anyway to either a dedicated V3+ display and /or Garmin /Dynon glass display.[/quote]

It is possible to 'T' off the RS232 so you can have the V3+ and an Air Connect which will give you WiFi too.

Nick.
Shoestring Flyer liked this
By Miscellaneous
Rob L wrote:But I have 37 aviation applications therein, including these hallowed halls :?

Then I believe Matt is suggesting you should have another tablet dedicated to flying. :wink:

I'm sure he'll be along directly to advise. :D