Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Today's caa announcement very odd.
"If you have used one of the ORS4 licensing exemptions (1409, 1410, 1411 and 1412) please note that when revalidating the rating/class by proficiency check or check with instructor, the expiry date will be 12 months or 24 months (dependent on the rating/class) from the month when the check was taken."

1) if reval prof check within 3 months of an extended rating expiring on 22/11 does not follow normal next expiry date rules, FEs and CREs needed to be told that before 23/08/2020, ie in the exemptions
2) there is strange reference to reval by "check with an instructor". Clearly a caa meeting to write a new announcement has taken place full of people who do not understand reval by experience if that what it means. IF it means reval by experience, (I can only guess), do they realise that a training hour could have happened back in late November 2019 for sep, yet guessing what they mean: best guess is they want the new reval date to be 2 years after the instructor flight. Cannot be right.
I have contacted the sponsor of the SkyWise release about this; an amended and simplified version should be forthcoming ere long....

Basically, all that it's saying is "We allowed you to continue flying under COVID-19 validity extension alleviations; an LPC under the terms of the alleviation will be treated as if it was for a renewal."

The 'check with an instructor' is incorrect anyway and I'm told it will be deleted.

I'm expecting confirmation tomorrow.

Any revalidation LPCs already conducted and signed up will be unaffected by the policy statement, I'm assured.
WelshRichy liked this
Is there any update on this? I had a Covid extension issued under Ors 1374 in April 2020 extending my MEP and IR to 22 Nov 2020. I then revalidated both (with separate examiners) in September 2020 and was my ratings were signed with new expiry of 30 Nov 2021 in both cases given to 30 Nov 2021. Is there any reason to consider these dates are incorrect?
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
a1650772 wrote:Is there any update on this? I had a Covid extension issued under Ors 1374 in April 2020 extending my MEP and IR to 22 Nov 2020. I then revalidated both (with separate examiners) in September 2020 and was my ratings were signed with new expiry of 30 Nov 2021 in both cases given to 30 Nov 2021. Is there any reason to consider these dates are incorrect?

Same for My IR: extended it to 23/11/20, but revalidated it as it happens anyway before old expiry date of 30.9.20 and new expiry is 30.11.2021. This is correct.(last day of month of test).

I'll still have to do Biennial SEP which expires on 30.9.2021 before 30.9.2021 as I do Biennial and IR on same date/same examiner, to avoid going over the 24 months and needing a reval prof test.

But the extra 7 weeks gives a comfort buffer for the IR.
The CAA should also have reissued ORS4 1416 as the wording of para 4 directly contradicts the referred statement.
f) Licence holders who took advantage of the extension to their privileges in ORS4 No. 1385 (or subsequent replacement), extending validity to 22 November 2020, will have a subsequent class rating validity expiry date of 30 November 2022.
Having thought I understood these exemptions, I'm now confused by this on the CAA website in the section on C-19 exemptions etc.

Revalidation
Pilots will need to revalidate 12 months (to the final day of that month) from the date that their check was conducted (i.e. a check conducted on 12 August 2020 will render the rating valid until 31 August 2021.)

Is this not simply confusing revalidation with validity? i.e. in the second 12 months of your rating validity you must have done 12 hours (inc. 6 solo) and 1 hour with an instructor.

Or are they trying to say something else?

Surely a 'check conducted on 12 August 2020' would render the rating valid until 31 August 2022 (or even later if the existing validity ran until later)?

What exactly is 'a check'?

I really do apprecaite CAA generating these exemptions but things are getting confused - at least in my dull mind.