Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Olli Allen
Hi, I’m 14 and self funding my PPL.
I’ve seen some people online at a similar age cleaning aircrafts at their local flight school/airport. I’d like to either try and work/volunteer at my school or put a notice on the board offering to clean private aircraft for a small fee.
What would the complications of this be?
Can I do this?
If so How much would be ‘cheap’ to clean an aircraft?
I’m going to ask at the school but I didn’t want to go in and seem like an idiot.
Rob P, Dave W, Cessna571 liked this
By Olli Allen
F70100 wrote:Hi Olli

Well done you for showing some initiative. What airfield is your local airfield?

Thanks for replying!
My local airfield is Netherthorpe. EGNF
By Rob P
Likewise... Well done for the initiative

Personally I'd pay two thirds of b*gg*r all to have the top surfaces of our low wing aircraft cleaned / polished, and an absolute fortune to have the undersurfaces done. I hate cleaning and polishing underneath on the hard hangar floor. :(

Rob P
Olli Allen liked this
By Cessna571
We were. paying £50 to my nephews for washing and polishing the aircraft.
(but they didn’t supply the polish, and that probably costs £10 a time)

Took them about half a day.

We are in need of a new polishing crew, but sadly Duxford is quite a long way for you I fear.

Otherwise, I’d book you in.
Olli Allen liked this
By Olli Allen
Rob P wrote:Likewise... Well done for the initiative

Personally I'd pay two thirds of b*gg*r all to have the top surfaces of our low wing aircraft cleaned / polished, and an absolute fortune to have the undersurfaces done. I hate cleaning and polishing underneath on the hard hangar floor. :(

Rob P

Thanks for replying!
If I cleaned and polished all around the outside and hoovered inside, All surfaces polished inside. Also if I supply all tools and products, would about £75 be about the right price?
Thanks again
By Olli Allen
Cessna571 wrote:We were. paying £50 to my nephews for washing and polishing the aircraft.
(but they didn’t supply the polish, and that probably costs £10 a time)

Took them about half a day.

We are in need of a new polishing crew, but sadly Duxford is quite a long way for you I fear.

Otherwise, I’d book you in.

Thanks for replying!
If I cleaned and polished all around the outside and hoovered inside, All surfaces polished inside. Also if I supply all tools and products, would about £75 be about the right price?
Did your nephews have a powered polisher to help polish?
Thanks again
By Rob P
Olli Allen wrote: All surfaces polished inside. Also if I supply all tools and products, would about £75 be about the right price?

It really isn't possible to generalise. We are a group of two, so that's just £37 each, neither of us would bat an eyelid at that price.

But some groups are full of penny-pinchers, and will try to save money wherever.

We use expensive product by the way, but we'd probably expect to buy that ourselves.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115894&

Rob P
By F70100
Offering a cleaning (& maybe polishing) service ought to be a great way for you to raise some cash for lessons, especially at a grass airfield through the winter.

It's a long time since I had a share in an aircraft and used to do cleaning, but I think I'd be prepared to pay around £15 for a quick spray and wipe the mud off type service, maybe up to £40 for a full wash with shampoo. I think polishing after a wash would take at least as long as the wash, and would be worth another £30-£40.

What are the complications?

If you're 14, do you need a lift to the airfield or can you walk/get there on your bike?

Is there someone at the airfield who is prepared to take responsibility for you whilst you are at the airfield?

How much do you already know about aircraft? i.e. do you know not to squirt the hose into the pitot/static ports, what precautions to take around propellors, know which parts of the aircraft are fragile? Would someone be prepared to train you?

My logbook shows I last visited Netherthorpe in 1983, so my knowledge of what goes on there isn't up to date... I'd recommend you visit with your parents/guardians and see what they say.

Keep us informed :thumleft:
By Olli Allen
F70100 wrote:Offering a cleaning (& maybe polishing) service ought to be a great way for you to raise some cash for lessons, especially at a grass airfield through the winter.

If you're 14, do you need a lift to the airfield or can you walk/get there on your bike?

Is there someone at the airfield who is prepared to take responsibility for you whilst you are at the airfield?

How much do you already know about aircraft? i.e. do you know not to squirt the hose into the pitot/static ports, what precautions to take around propellors, know which parts of the aircraft are fragile? Would someone be prepared to train you?

My logbook shows I last visited Netherthorpe in 1983, so my knowledge of what goes on there isn't up to date... I'd recommend you visit with your parents/guardians and see what they say.

Keep us informed :thumleft:

I have been at the airfield for about a year while training so i know the staff really well and they'd be fine with me being in the hanger or outside at the tie down ports.
Getting there is not a problem.
I know quite a bit about aircrafts but i've found a course online that refreshes over everything. Netherthorpe is great! I'd definitely recommend if you are ever flying over, always a good chat going on. :D :thumright:
F70100 liked this
By Rob L
Hello Ollie, well done for the initiative!

I assume you know the Bonsall resident maintenance company; have a quiet chat with them first. If willing, they may put you in touch with aircraft owners who might welcome a bit of TLC on their aircraft.
By Olli Allen
Rob L wrote:Hello Ollie, well done for the initiative!

I assume you know the Bonsall resident maintenance company; have a quiet chat with them first. If willing, they may put you in touch with aircraft owners who might welcome a bit of TLC on their aircraft.

Thanks for the pointer!
I’ll get in touch with them today
I’ll let you know how I get on :D
By JAFO
@Olli Allen - I have a feeling you'll make it. Good luck to you in all you do and never, ever worry about seeming like an idiot (as in your original post). The man who has never made an idiot of himself has probably never made anything at all of himself.
scd975, Olli Allen liked this